Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

torque spec for 2.4 liter balance shaft sprocket

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2020, 12:47 AM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default torque spec for 2.4 liter balance shaft sprocket

I am reassembling a 2.4 liter engine for a 2015 Equinox. The engine balance shaft sprockets were removed as the kit that came to replace the chain and guides came with a drive sprocket and sprockets for the balance shafts. That said, I later am told that the balance shaft sprockets should not have been removed after installing all the new parts that came with the balance shaft chain and guides kit. The sprockets for the balance shafts had over 125,000 miles and did show some wear. In short, I am not able to find any torques specifications for the balance shaft sprocket bolts. Is there a factory spec that I can use to tighten the bolts so they allow the engine to run without worry of the bolts backing out? Appreciate any information on what the specs are. Really can't go forward on the reassembly until I get past this concern.

Thanks,
Old May 2nd, 2020, 5:52 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Torque spec for balance shaft gears

After doing some additional research, I watched a YouTube video put on by Cloyes timing components. Within their video for a 2.4 Ecotec Chevy engine they mentioned the torque spec for the balance shaft gears/spockets. The spec, by mention in their video, is 37 lb ft. Hope this answers anybody else in search the torque spec.
The following users liked this post:
lactose-21 (June 18th, 2024)
Old May 11th, 2020, 6:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 272 Likes on 235 Posts

For most of the bolts, a generic torque chart (found using any search engine) will suffice as long as you use the appropriate spec (for example, if it’s a steel bolt threaded into aluminum, you’d want the spec for aluminum). There’s not very many specs that are too critical for a generic chart - exceptions would be cylinder heads, crankshaft balancer bolts, crank/cam bearing caps, and a few others.

If you’re unsure you can always apply threadlocker to the bolt. The most common specs for GM are:

M6x1.0 - 89 in-lbs (some are 106 in-lbs)
M8x1.25 - 18 ft-lbs
M10x1.50 - 37 ft-lbs
M12x1.75 - 55 ft-lbs