Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Towing a 2013 equinox

Search this Thread

Old October 29th, 2013, 4:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing a 2013 equinox

How is it that a company as large as gm cannot provide an answer to a simple question. I have asked this question from two different dealers and phoned a number of people at gm but it seems there is no technical people anywhere in the system you can talk to for answers. Now they had no problem selling me this vehicle that can be flat towed behind a motor home as long as you don't try hooking up lights to it.
Now let me explain: I have bought the wiring harness specific for this vehicle and what it does is allow the motor home control of the light circuits using diodes in each circuit to prevent power feed back. All is good. The problem is with the ignition switch turned off you still have power to the brake lights. What this means is that when the braking system in the towed vehicle is activated by the motor home, both the motor home and the towed vehicle provide power to the towed tail lights which causes problems with turn signals on the towed vehicle. Good so far. One solution is to cut the wire to the tail light switch and install a relay. Now the problem here is that this switch is almost impossible to get too and since you are altering the factory wiring it could void the electrical warranty. The simplest solution is to pull the fuse to the brake lights and all would be well. Try getting someone to tell you which fuse to pull. I have said that there has to be a fuse because if yo have a short in that circuit wouldn't it be better to blow a fuse rather than start an electrical fire. If anyone knows which fuse this might be please tell me. Remember no where is this fuse identified as a brake light fuse in the owners manual or by the dealers i have visited or gm people i have spoken to.
Help please, moe
Old November 3rd, 2013, 11:34 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok this is the fuse you are suppose to pull when towing behind an RV. It's fuse number 32 labeled as the Discrete Logic Ignition Switch Fuse. It's in the instrument panel fuse block. I'm not surprised dealers or even salesmen could not tell you this. There is no pride taken by many people any more. My job as a dealer tech is to provide customers with answers, solutions, and of course fix there vehicles.