Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old January 10th, 2021, 7:21 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Issues

Okay I need advice I'm not quite sure what the hell happened but my 06 equinox I was driving yesterday and made a stop and when I left the stop I went to put my I put in reverse backed up and when I went to put it in drive it just made this God awful noise jolted the car and then would not go anywhere now if parked on the inclined plane and the car is in park it will roll unless the emergency brake and when I go to put it in gear it just makes it a horrible noise like someone threw a f****** aluminum can in a wood chipper any thoughts or opinions would be greatly helpful thank you
Old January 10th, 2021, 8:49 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

Just about any moving parts in a trans when not in the right place or possibly broken will produce noises, some horrible. The connection from the flywheel to the trans converter could be involved. Not always a good idea to diagnose noises over the net.
Old January 10th, 2021, 2:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get that but it can't get much worse than what it is
Old January 11th, 2021, 12:19 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Fractured Mind
Okay I need advice I'm not quite sure what the hell happened but my 06 equinox I was driving yesterday and made a stop and when I left the stop I went to put my I put in reverse backed up and when I went to put it in drive it just made this God awful noise jolted the car and then would not go anywhere now if parked on the inclined plane and the car is in park it will roll unless the emergency brake and when I go to put it in gear it just makes it a horrible noise like someone threw a f****** aluminum can in a wood chipper any thoughts or opinions would be greatly helpful thank you
You don't have a transmission issue. You have a broken CV axle. The transmission has an open differential (aka "one wheel wonder") like most FWD vehicles which sends power to the wheel with the least amount of traction. The vehicle can't move because the wheel with the broken CV axle has no traction at all. For the same reason, the park pawl can't keep the vehicle from moving.