Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

'17 Express, tiny bit of damage = full frame replacement?

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2021, 12:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '17 Express, tiny bit of damage = full frame replacement?

Hello! My son ran into a light pole in a parking lot (ugh! smh) and the impact was on the bumper exactly in front of the end of the frame rail, passenger side. The very tip 1.5" mushroomed, not even as far back as the vertical bolt sleeve to attach the bumper-mount bracket. When the collision repair center saw that, they immediately said it requires a full frame replacement without any further inspection/analysis, as GM does not allow sectioning of these frames, resulting in my van being declared a total loss. I believe this is an iCar CYA ruling, and I cannot believe that this tiny bit of damage that does not effect the frame's structural integrity or the van's drivability could possibly require full frame replacement. Does anyone on here know? Is this a flaw in these "heavy duty" vans, that a minor impact renders them disposable? Thanks for your answers in advance!
Old March 17th, 2021, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 613 Likes on 554 Posts

Go to a frame alignment shop, and see if your frame is bent. They have the right kind of equipment to deal with it.

If the force was enough to mushroom a double wall frame rail, there's no telling what else it did. In an offset collision like that, it puts tremendous shearing force on the ladder frame.
Old March 17th, 2021, 1:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! Yes, I'm planning to have a full analysis done. It bent at the large slots in both vertical side webs, so significantly less strength than anywhere else. If a full inspection & analysis doesn't find any further damage, would that damage in itself require a full frame replacement?
Old March 17th, 2021, 4:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 613 Likes on 554 Posts

I don't know. Do you have a photo or something?

Talk to the frame shop and inquire about the cost of a repair, versus cost to replace the whole frame, versus market value of the vehicle and you'll have your answer.
Old March 18th, 2021, 6:42 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

It did that level of damage but no airbags set off?