Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1992 Chevrolet G30 Beauville trailer brake wiring question

Search this Thread

Old April 29th, 2018, 7:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1992 Chevrolet G30 Beauville trailer brake wiring question

I have a 1992 G30 extended passenger one ton Chevrolet Beauville van with trailer wiring option code U89. I'm installing a trailer brake controller on my van for my trailer. I've got the black power wire, the white ground wire and the red brake light wire hooked up. I'm looking for the dark blue wire in the harness or in the fuse panel to hook my dark blue controller wire into. Can someone help guide me as to where this would be. I have the trailer plug already wired up with the dark blue trailer wire in it's proper spot in my 6 pin connector. I just need to find this wire at the front of the van. Thanks for your help.
Old May 1st, 2018, 6:46 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey there... I dont own the year of van you have I have a 2006... but I will help you in
any way I can..Tekonsha P-3. this is my second install of brake controller of this type.. I have
the very same on my GMC truck.. liked it so well I bought one for my Van...
the blue wire is going directly to the trailer brake... so if you have
a harness already installed on the van you will have to back track to the
bumper and determine which one is for the trailer brake...
On My van the wires were all harnessed together... right under the dash left side
of my feet.
from the brake controller its self... there are only 4 wires coming out
Black....... Battery.......... How stupid does that sound living in America... ( of course it wasnt made here ) lol
RED.......... Stop light........ Well that kinda makes since... I guess.... ( lol )
White....... Ground........ Completly stupid... color coding..
BLUE......... BRAKE........ to brakes on trailer.... ( if used )
Old May 1st, 2018, 6:56 AM
CF Pro Member

So this is the set up I am using on my van .
I posted this in my thread BEST UPGRADED DONE...
I just recently installed a class V Curt hitch ..
Attached Thumbnails 1992 Chevrolet G30 Beauville trailer brake wiring question-brake-controller-1.jpg   1992 Chevrolet G30 Beauville trailer brake wiring question-brake-controller-harness.jpg   1992 Chevrolet G30 Beauville trailer brake wiring question-wiringguides2.jpg  
Old May 1st, 2018, 7:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much for assistance Teammuir1. I will continue to look through the harness for the dark blue wire to the trailer plug. I had already tracked the factory wiring at the back of the van a few years ago when I bought it and hooked up the trailer plug. I rarely ever use my van, it's a 1992 and only has 75000 original miles on it but I know I'm going to be moving again sometime this year and want to make sure that I have trailer brakes for my car trailer. I really like your brake controller set up. I like your van also. I would like to get a newer model next generation extended 1 ton van myself but I haven't used mine enough in the last 6 years to justify selling my van and buying a newer one, at least not yet LOL. My van was a two owner van that was originally owned by an individual and then sold to a local college. That's where it saw most of its mileage. The college kids treated the van pretty rough as you can imagine. I've already installed new upper control arms with ball joints, lower ball joints, shocks, trailing arm, rotors bearings and seals and brake pads in the front this year and I had to replace the tires that were on it because the front end was in such bad shape when I originally bought it. I gave it a tune up and installed a new passenger door power window actuator when I bought it. Still got plenty of work to do mechanically and interior.
Old May 1st, 2018, 9:20 PM
CF Pro Member

Sounds like you have done alot of work to her already.....
I originally bought my van only to use for my hobby...
since then it has become more of a hobby its self.. lol...
I enjoy doing mods and fixing it up... I too have much more
to do to mine... I have alot planned for the interior still just have to
stay tuned...
keep us posted on your install...