Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1992 G20 Project (Update) Safely Driving

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2020, 10:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 G20 Project (Update) Safely Driving

Hey guys! So back in November I posted asking about the noise my project G20 makes while under load (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/exp...t-noise-98024/) I am greatly appreciative of all of your help with that issue, though I have not been able to do them yet. Recently though, I have gotten more time to work on it, and now that it (safely) drives, I'm looking to do a tune-up of sorts. Normally a tune-up to me would just consist

of new spark plugs, wires, distributor, fuel clean, and oil change. Though, since this isn't a normal car that I normally work on, and since it did sit for 13 years, any advice on things to replace while I'm at it? It has a few issues driving. It doesn't like going much faster than 45, and really struggles with hills lol. I do also realize it's a huge freakin' van and it's an old engine so I can't expect too much, but I would appreciate your guys' opinions on this.

Thanks for reading! Any advice would be appreciated!
Old May 25th, 2020, 5:12 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man if it was me, I would divert all energy and funds to finding and fixing that knocking noise first. I wouldn't drive it until that was fixed.

Then on top of your standard tune-up of plugs, wires, cap and rotor I would check or replace the following.

1. Pressure test the cooling system. Repair any leaks. If you find any leaks consider the age of the hoses, fan clutch, thermostat etc. Low dollar parts but good preventive maintenance of you have the system open.

2. Combustion gas test. This will rule out any head or head gasket issues.

3. Belt and tensioner, if you are into the front end, they are right there.

4. Under the dog house - check all vacuum hoses with a pump gauge. Look for fuel leaks or any puddles on the intake. PCV and EGR will be right there to inspect and test. Replace fuel filter if at carb and air filter.

5. Transmission - Check the convertor bolts and inspect for cracks in the flexplate. Is it a 700R4? if you have to remove it for a repair, do a fluid and filter change for sure. Think about installing a drain plug and a shift kit.

6. check differential for leaks and consider gasket and refill service.

Does this model have a carb or fuel injected?

john

Last edited by johnt365; May 25th, 2020 at 6:04 PM.
Old May 25th, 2020, 7:16 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The 92 should be TBI, only one year away from my own.
Edit: I agree with all points made and only suggest also spinning pulleys while the belt is off.

Last edited by Beau Oszman; May 25th, 2020 at 7:18 PM.
Old June 1st, 2020, 12:04 PM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I've got a 92 and agree with all the above plus valve lash adjustment. If you pull off valve covers and se alot of crud I would use a engine flush and a few cheaper oil filters till clean. Myself I just use a quart of atf in place of a quart of oil a couple days to crud flush. Instructions for valve lash adjustment are on youtube