Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1993 G20 - 6-cylinder engine - Stumbles when hot

Search this Thread

Old July 18th, 2021, 6:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 G20 - 6-cylinder engine - Stumbles when hot

Hi,
My G20 has been running great; traveled from California to North Carolina, back to California, and then back to North Carolina to stay. No problem.

However, I was running the A/C recently when the air temperature was 90+ and all of a sudden the blower fan cut off, and the van started running a little rough. All the gauges looked normal. I pulled into a gas station to let it cool down, checked oil and water which were fine, and then started it up. It ran fine until I got back on the road. When the engine reached normal operating temperature, it stumbled again both at idle and ad running speed, and didn't have as much power as usual. In a little while, it began to rain, and the air temperature dropped to about 80. The engine began running smoothly again!! Since then, the engine runs fine unless the air temperature is above about 85 to 90 degrees. Any ideas would really be appreciated, because I live in a rural area and we lack skilled auto mechanics. I shou

Thanks in advance.
Old July 18th, 2021, 11:16 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Geneeus
Hi,
My G20 has been running great; traveled from California to North Carolina, back to California, and then back to North Carolina to stay. No problem.

However, I was running the A/C recently when the air temperature was 90+ and all of a sudden the blower fan cut off, and the van started running a little rough. All the gauges looked normal. I pulled into a gas station to let it cool down, checked oil and water which were fine, and then started it up. It ran fine until I got back on the road. When the engine reached normal operating temperature, it stumbled again both at idle and ad running speed, and didn't have as much power as usual. In a little while, it began to rain, and the air temperature dropped to about 80. The engine began running smoothly again!! Since then, the engine runs fine unless the air temperature is above about 85 to 90 degrees. Any ideas would really be appreciated, because I live in a rural area and we lack skilled auto mechanics. I shou

Thanks in advance.
I can't help you much unless I have the high and low side readings on your A/C System. You can buy a cheap set of gauges at Harbor Freight or find someone who has a set of gauges. When you open your hood is the compressor working?

There is a magnetic clutch that activates the compressor right behind the fan belt and in front of the compressor. Are the A/C lines you can feel both hot and cold? It's possible that you are low on 134A refrigerant, and your low-side switch is cutting out on you. Always wear protective eyewear when working on an A/C system.

As to your stumbling, it could be a bad coil or a MAF sensor issue easily. Sometimes a bad coil will operate fine until it overheats, thus outside temperatures cooling down could have an effect on your motor. If you can crack your engine door to the safety realize it might help cool down the motor and coils until you can fix the issue.

As a side note, I was born in CA. I'd stay away from that state, as it's always been a great state to live in, very beautiful but the political correctness and politics really blows in that state, along with high gas prices, high housing prices, and high taxes. And it's under a major drought that cannot go on long, else it will be a desert. In Hispanic, California literally means "hot-place" and they ain't joking about that.
Old July 19th, 2021, 11:11 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I knew I was leaving important stuff out, even though I tried to get everything in! The A/C is running ok, the blower stopping was just something that happened when the problem first occurred. The only remaining issue is with the stumbling.

As far as California goes, I couldn't agree more! I moved there for a job, and stayed to raise a family, but too quickly became unhappy with everything. As a Harley rider, it's a great place to be able to ride year around, but that and the climate in the Bay Area are the only things that I miss.

Here's something that really shows the political climate. As the result of supposed racially biased policing in Berkeley, the city has decided that the police department will no longer make traffic stops!! https://www.huffpost.com/entry/berke...b6ec4b56275e5c
Roy
Old July 20th, 2021, 6:20 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Geneeus
I knew I was leaving important stuff out, even though I tried to get everything in! The A/C is running ok, the blower stopping was just something that happened when the problem first occurred. The only remaining issue is with the stumbling.

As far as California goes, I couldn't agree more! I moved there for a job, and stayed to raise a family, but too quickly became unhappy with everything. As a Harley rider, it's a great place to be able to ride year around, but that and the climate in the Bay Area are the only things that I miss.

Here's something that really shows the political climate. As the result of supposed racially biased policing in Berkeley, the city has decided that the police department will no longer make traffic stops!! https://www.huffpost.com/entry/berke...b6ec4b56275e5c
Roy
That's funny .

I was doing nighttime delivery all around the Bay Area for Carquest auto parts. They changed the passcode to get into gate to the store, so the silent alarm goes off at the cop station in south Berekely. Some old geezer cop pulls up in 10 minutes, while I am sitting on the trailer gate waiting for the fuzz to show up. Gets out, unbuckles his little Glock, and tells me to move my hands, which were on the gate.

I didn't budge as I hate cops, and his gun didn't scare me at all, but he looked like he wanted to shoot me. Thankfully a young female officer pulls up and de-escalates the situation, which wouldn't have happened had I been given the wrong changed passcode. Had a shirt, truck, and trailer all with the Carquest logo on them, I lived in the Sacramento valley, where it gets almost as hot as Arizona does.

Sure glad I got out of there. And now they won't even make traffic stops in Berzerkly? It figures! California is one crazy *** state.
Old July 27th, 2021, 4:33 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

what kind of fuel economy are you seeing with it? Did it drop noticeably recently?

You can't get much live data out of these OBD-1 systems but I would try changing the coolant temp sensor, the one on the intake. It may have failed and makes the engine computer think the temperature is colder than it actually is, causing the rough and rich running. The dash gauge runs off a separate, second sensor.

it's like $20 and if you have the shorty you can do it in the parking lot of the auto parts store, it will spill a bit of coolant but not too much. If you have the regular wheelbase it's harder to reach because the engine sits back further.

My 2002 would not even start when the sensor quit, it was telling the engine computer it was -68F when it was 80' out.

The only other common issue I can think of in high heat is the ignition module could be failing.

You can pull codes on this system, using a paperclip to jump the A and B terminals on the diagnostic link and turning the key on, it will flash the CEL in a pattern three times each. 12 is normal.