Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2001 chevy express 2500 v6

Search this Thread

Old November 1st, 2019, 3:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 chevy express 2500 v6

I took my van to a mechanic in costa rica to have diagnostics done to try to diagnose a slight hesitation problem when accelerating. The diagnostic results came came up with many issues perhaps because I have just driven the van from L.A. to costa rica. It was suggested that I clear the vans computer drive the vehicle for the weakend and bring it back in and do the diagnosis again. After clearing the data the van wouldn't start due to the immobiliizer passlock. What has transpired is that the immobiliizer module that is located on top of the steering column has been removed from the van and there is apparently no machine to reprogram the van to work without the immobiliizer .There is no security light on the dash. Any Ideas not to clued up on such thing so not sure if I'm using correct terminology. ???
Old November 2nd, 2019, 9:07 AM
CF Active Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds like a pickle! I would tow it to a local dealer if they exist. If not, I would contact your home dealer and talk to them. They may be able to ship you whatever parts you are missing (and program them in advance if necessary). It may be helpful if you include photos here.
Old November 6th, 2019, 5:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passlock issues

Thanks for the response in a pickle in costa rica re chev no dealership in san isidro mostly Japanese cars. Anyway I have been told that the passlock was removed from the van while it was running and then the car has no issues starting until the car battery is disconected. I just want to find out if the van could run without the passlock.
I cant do any of the passlock bypass plans you can find on youtube like putting a risistor in the ignition circuit. I have ordered a passlock from ebay arriving next week so we'll see what happens when i get that in. The mechanic says it wont just take the relearn proceedure for the car to start with he new passlock the on board computer will have to be reprogrammed. Taken out sent to the main city san jose and this will cost.......