Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2003 Express ABS

Search this Thread

Old October 29th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Professional Mechanic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppop
I did a little more reading since you got me pointed in the direction of the sensors and am going to check them for rust and dirt. There could very well be a rust issue since I don't drive it very often and some times it sits on the lawn for a couple days at a time. As soon as I can get the garage empty I'll get it done and let you know the results. If that doesn't fix it, I'll have to pay somebody to hook it up to a diagnostic computer.
I believe Auto Zone checks the codes for free... just not sure if they have the ability to check the ABS system but it's worth a shot.

Good luck!
Old December 11th, 2009, 4:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

OK. I found the problem. The left front speed sensor is messed up and the ABS light now stays on all the time but the brakes work like there isn't an ABS system which suits me just fine. I never liked ABS anyhow and I'll let the next owner worry about it. That is, after I have it for another six years. The problem is called premature application and is common where there is a lot of road salt used. I found the information on the internet and it described how to clean the rust off the sensor mounting area to solve the problem. It didn't describe how to remove and replace the sensor without breaking it, but like I said, I never liked the ABS and don't mind having the light on.
Kenny