Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2004 Express 3500 - Should I get It?

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2015, 9:54 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it is any consolation I have a 3500 (2010) with 75K. I just had the brakes inspected and was told there was 80% left on the pads. I drive lots in the city with stop and go plus I tow a trailer at times. I think these heavier vans are good runners. Mechanically I have had little problems. The paint on mine has been the only major issue. My only other issue was what I thought was a oil leak that after checking found it was transmission fluid. I look it in because I suspected the lines between the transmission and the cooler behind the radiator had a leak. On my year they used some crappy crimp to connect a flexible hose to the metal tubing. Both were replaced and fixed that leak. In hindsight I should have done the work myself since parts and labor amounted to over $400. But the leak was so minor I couldn't prove to myself if the leak was at the crimp or not. I know GM mechanics see the problems day after day and more than likely know these lines leak. Since I tow I couldn't afford to have a failure...so I paid for peace of mind. Other than that I really like the vans. They are a great tow vehicle.

Last edited by goyakpacking; May 5th, 2015 at 9:57 AM.
Old May 5th, 2015, 12:59 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by goyakpacking
If it is any consolation I have a 3500 (2010) with 75K. I just had the brakes inspected and was told there was 80% left on the pads. I drive lots in the city with stop and go plus I tow a trailer at times. I think these heavier vans are good runners. Mechanically I have had little problems. The paint on mine has been the only major issue. My only other issue was what I thought was a oil leak that after checking found it was transmission fluid. I look it in because I suspected the lines between the transmission and the cooler behind the radiator had a leak. On my year they used some crappy crimp to connect a flexible hose to the metal tubing. Both were replaced and fixed that leak. In hindsight I should have done the work myself since parts and labor amounted to over $400. But the leak was so minor I couldn't prove to myself if the leak was at the crimp or not. I know GM mechanics see the problems day after day and more than likely know these lines leak. Since I tow I couldn't afford to have a failure...so I paid for peace of mind. Other than that I really like the vans. They are a great tow vehicle.

Ok I just got a call from the chevy dealership, I had them do a full inspection for $100. He said no major issues, engine and transmission are fine with no error codes but two transmission lines were leaking. They want $600 for the repair. I'm taking it to my local mechanic who will charge much less.
Old May 5th, 2015, 5:20 PM
CF Junior Member

What needs fixed: Transmission cooler lines leaking and rear axle seal leaking. The spare tire and holder is missing. Otherwise everything else is fine.
Old May 5th, 2015, 5:33 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, good deal all around.
Old May 5th, 2015, 7:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A tranny shop can cut the bad section out of the cooler lines, and flare the tubes and then add new hose. Couple hundred at most.
Rear axle seals are a bugger if its the g80 locker axle. I would have a shop do that.....
Old May 5th, 2015, 11:37 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by canucklehead
A tranny shop can cut the bad section out of the cooler lines, and flare the tubes and then add new hose. Couple hundred at most.
Rear axle seals are a bugger if its the g80 locker axle. I would have a shop do that.....
I paid $100 to the chevy dealership to do a full inspection. They wanted $600 to repair the lines and seal! I politely declined and took the report and van to my local dealer and he'll do everything for much cheaper.

Overall, I feel like I got a great deal with this van. Now it's time clean the van up and makes some mods. This will be my motorcycle hauler/bug-out camper van.

Question: I want to replace the lower part of the front bumper. Is it difficult to remove?
Old May 6th, 2015, 9:46 AM
CF Veteran

Not sure. I think the lower part of the bumper is the actual metal part, and the upper is a plastic cap. My bumpber the lower part is the chrome, and the top is the black part.....so you are looking for a new bumper.....
Old May 6th, 2015, 11:30 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by canucklehead
Not sure. I think the lower part of the bumper is the actual metal part, and the upper is a plastic cap. My bumpber the lower part is the chrome, and the top is the black part.....so you are looking for a new bumper.....
Yeah that's it but mine is black. Would you happen to know where a good place to get a bumper is? EBay has a new black one for $200 shipped. I want to get it in black.

Also, I wanted to get a repair manual for this van in .pdf, where to get one? I googled but only found paper manuals.
Old May 7th, 2015, 12:02 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took my bumpers off, spent $20 to have it sand blasted, then painted some rusty metal rustoleum primer on it. After that I sprayed some herculiner on and it has been fine for about 2 years now. I figured cheaper than a new black steel one and it will probably look better longer too.

Brew
Old May 7th, 2015, 12:03 AM
CF Veteran

i like my paper manuals. I don't want my greasy hands on my computer.....lol
Haynes repair manual is only 25 bucks.
As for the bumper, I have never sourced one so not sure.

Quick Reply: 2004 Express 3500 - Should I get It?