Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2005 Express bulb replacement and other stuff

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2015, 8:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Express bulb replacement and other stuff

Hello. I just got this truck and am now starting to see a couple of annoyances. First is the auto headlight feature. I've got it set, but when I drop it in gear I only get running lights. When manually switched to the headlight position, all is fine. New switch? Next is the light on the heat position selector light not working. I'm sure it just a bulb, but not sure how to remove the face plate. I've seen 2 bolts in the recess and 2 more under the dash on the driver side. Is that all of them? Lastly, the speakers in the front door panels are shot. How do I remove the panels for their replacement? Thanks for any help.
Old March 1st, 2015, 11:28 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwald
First is the auto headlight feature. I've got it set, but when I drop it in gear I only get running lights. When manually switched to the headlight position, all is fine. New switch?
Is it an American van? I know the DRL's used to work differently depending on which side of the border the vehicle was intended for. By Running lights, do you mean headlamps on low output, or park lights? There is a sensor on the middle of the dash which looks up through the windshield. This tells the autolamp circuit what to do with the lights. You should be able to cover it to bring the headlamps on full if you are in auto mode.

Next is the light on the heat position selector light not working. I'm sure it just a bulb, but not sure how to remove the face plate. I've seen 2 bolts in the recess and 2 more under the dash on the driver side. Is that all of them?
I think you have to remove the entire bezel, best to look on youtube for instructions. There are two panels, one on the drivers, one on the passenger side. You have to remove these first, they are at knee height. Then you have to remove the bezel, then unscrew heat selector module, the light should be on the back. At least this is my interpretation of the whole situation, maybe someone more knowledgeable will answer.

Lastly, the speakers in the front door panels are shot. How do I remove the panels for their replacement? Thanks for any help.
I think you have to remove the entire door panel? Again, refer to youtube for instructions.
Old March 1st, 2015, 12:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You should def get a haynes repair manual. It has all the tips you need, and also lots of info to familiarize you with the truck. Well worth the 25 bucks....
When you pull your speakers, you will find they are an odd size......but I managed to fit 6.5 inch ones in the factory space.....