Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2007 Chevy express 6 cyl. Airbag light blinks 6 times, 7th time it stays on.

Search this Thread

Old December 23rd, 2017, 3:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Chevy express 6 cyl. Airbag light blinks 6 times, 7th time it stays on.

2007 Chevy express 6 cyl. Airbag light blinks 6 times, 7th time it stays on. Took to Chevy dealership and est was $1200. Scan code was B0092. They said it needs a seat cushion with sensor and PPS module in it (passenger side). I ordered one from another Chevy dealership for $450 new. Installed and same problem. Cleared codes and comes back same code. Checked all plugs under both seats, good. All fuses good. I am A TV technician and downloaded a wiring diagram but very little voltage checks on it.
Anyone know where to go from here???
Old December 23rd, 2017, 8:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You are a dieing breed. TV techs aren't all that common.

So, I Googled the code, and what came up was drivers side, not passenger. And apparently, somewhat common. Hope that helps.
Old December 24th, 2017, 11:41 AM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here is the diagram. If the new part didn't fix it, likely a wiring issue. Hope you still have the old part.
Also, no need to clear codes. They are self-testing every time you turn the key. When the issue is solved, it'll go away.

2007 CHEVROLET EXPRESS - 2WD SERVICE MANUAL
SEARCH
SAFETY AND SECURITY SUPPLEMENTAL INFLATABLE RESTRAINTS DIAGNOSTIC INFORMATION AND PROCEDURES
DTC B0092

Circuit Description
When the ignition is turned ON, the inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) performs tests to diagnose critical malfunctions within itself. When the SDM has completed the power-up mode the SDM will establish communication with the passenger presence system (PPS). The PPS will respond by commanding both the PASSENGER AIR BAG ON/OFF indicators ON for 5 seconds. Then, the SDM will transmit a request message to the PPS to receive the PPS verification ID. The PPS will transmit the verification ID to the SDM and the SDM will compare the ID received to data stored in memory. The SDM will set DTC B0092 to notify the driver that the PPS has a current malfunction present or has not established/loss communications with the PPS.

DTC Descriptor
This diagnostic procedure supports the following DTC:

DTC B0092 Passenger Presence System Performance

Conditions for Running the DTC
Ignition 1 voltage is within the normal operating voltage range.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
The SDM has loss or never established communications with the PPS.

The SDM detects that the PPS has set a DTC.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
The SDM disables the instrument panel (I/P) module deployment loop.

The SDM commands the AIR BAG indicator ON via Class 2 serial data.

The PPS will turn ON the PASSENGER AIR BAG OFF indicator.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC
The condition responsible for setting the DTC no longer exists.

You issue a scan tool CLEAR DTCs command.

A history DTC will clear once 255 malfunction-free ignition cycles have occurred.

Diagnostic Aids
DTC B0092 is an indication that the SDM has no or loss communication with the PPS or the PPS has internal faults. The SDM will continue to request the verification ID from the PPS for 5 seconds. If the SDM does not receive the verification ID from the PPS within 5 seconds the SDM will set the DTC as current, illuminate the AIR BAG indicator, and disable the I/P module deployment loop.
Attached Thumbnails 2007 Chevy express 6 cyl. Airbag light blinks 6 times, 7th time it stays on.-1.png   2007 Chevy express 6 cyl. Airbag light blinks 6 times, 7th time it stays on.-2.png  
Old December 24th, 2017, 4:04 PM
CF Veteran

Artie, 3 questions. 1) is there a passenger cutoff switch in an '07 that might be the trouble? 2) could it be the SDM? And 3) why did Google tell me drivers side? Okay, that last one is somewhat rhetorical, but it does indicate that Google might not have a grasp on the difference between left and right.
Old December 24th, 2017, 4:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StanVan
You are a dieing breed. TV techs aren't all that common.

So, I Googled the code, and what came up was drivers side, not passenger. And apparently, somewhat common. Hope that helps.
Have you had this problem before?
Old December 24th, 2017, 11:54 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by TVman
Have you had this problem before?
Which one? Google being wrong, or needing a TV tech? Both. Google fails me more than I care to think about. Needing a TV tech? Not so much these days. One time, I needed one, and had one. He advised me that I needed to replace some vertical chip(30 years ago, a 16 pin chip) that did the trick. My circuit board skills handled that, but today's SMD tech is a bit above my skill set.

Artie knows his stuff. I hope his answers help you.
Old December 25th, 2017, 1:05 PM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This PPS thing is only present in 1500 (light duty) vans.

Then, the SDM will transmit a request message to the PPS to receive the PPS verification ID. The PPS will transmit the verification ID to the SDM and the SDM will compare the ID received to Go stored in memory.
You need a Tech 2 tool. Go to Diagnostics->2007->Chevrolet->G->Body-> Body control module -> Special Functions - > Set up new SDM Primary Key in BCM. I have one, many enthusiast people also do, eBay has them for cheap. A dealer or indy GM shop would have one, and they usually charge 0.5-1 hr min labor. It only takes 2 minutes to perform the procedure.