Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2014 Express 1500 Belt Squeal

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2018, 1:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Express 1500 Belt Squeal

Hello everyone one. I am the new owner of a used 2014 Chevrolet Express 1500 4.3L V6 van. My issue is a belt squeal on startup. It goes away in about 10 minutes after warmup but is especially worse on wet days or humid mornings. I have about 79k on the odometer and the belt looks to be in good shape. My question is could it be an old belt or is the most likely culprit the tensioner and the belt? Any help would be appreciated. Would like to see if anyone else has had this issue before just throwing money at changing parts.

Thanks in advance!
Old July 24th, 2018, 2:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 625 Likes on 566 Posts

When you're starting, the belt has to work harder to turn the alternator pulley. If it's shiny and glazed, try roughing it up with a wirebrush or sandpaper. Or if you'd rather use that time to do something else, buy a new one for ten bucks.
https://www.cartechbooks.com/techtips/serpbelt/
Old July 24th, 2018, 3:28 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your AC on when you start it ?
Kenny
Old July 24th, 2018, 3:31 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbonks
Hello everyone one. I am the new owner of a used 2014 Chevrolet Express 1500 4.3L V6 van. My issue is a belt squeal on startup. It goes away in about 10 minutes after warmup but is especially worse on wet days or humid mornings. I have about 79k on the odometer and the belt looks to be in good shape. My question is could it be an old belt or is the most likely culprit the tensioner and the belt? Any help would be appreciated. Would like to see if anyone else has had this issue before just throwing money at changing parts.

Thanks in advance!
Hi, considering the difficulty of getting the belt on and off, maybe think about replacing the tensioner and idler pulley also. Autozone has a Dayco kit, it includes the belt, tensioner, and idler pulley. Not sure if you can buy a new belt for $10, Autozone's belt prices are $28 to $43 plus tax.

Old July 24th, 2018, 3:34 PM
CF Beginner

So the A/C is not on when I start the engine. I usually leave it off when starting up. It looks like quite the job with all of the stuff in the way to replace it. I've done a few on some toyota's before but it was much more accessible. Has anyone done this on a 2014 or similar van? If so, how difficult was it?
Old July 24th, 2018, 4:26 PM
Super Moderator

it shouldn't be too difficult. It may be worth it to remove the shroud to get the belt around the fan.

Old July 24th, 2018, 6:17 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
buy a new one for ten bucks.
Sorry, never thought you could buy a quality serpentine belt that cheaply.

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
it shouldn't be too difficult. It may be worth it to remove the shroud to get the belt around the fan.
For a professional mechanic, it is not a difficult job, for a DIY'er you might be asking yourself why you didn't take it to a shop. I have a 2008 1500 with the 4.3, and from what I remember you can't see anything on the front of the engine behind the upper shroud, I think it would have to be removed. Then the long reach to the tensioner to release the belt. And while you're in there I would recommend also replacing the tensioner and idler. You could call a dealer and get a price, and a local reliable shop, to see if it's in your budget.
Old July 24th, 2018, 8:52 PM
Super Moderator

On my old Astro van (4.3L), which is very similar, it took maybe 10 minutes to remove the belt, and I am not a professional. I used my two foot breaker bar ($12) to release the tensioner.

It wasn't necessary, but removing the shroud involved a handful of screws, accessible from the top.
Old July 24th, 2018, 9:13 PM
CF Beginner

It looks like it is doable. I have all of the tools. If I am going to replace the tensioner and Idler pulley though it certainly looks easier to remove the upper fan shroud to allow easier access.
Old July 24th, 2018, 10:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

And hey, the correct belt is even cheaper.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...rive,belt,8900