Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2014 Starting Troubles 6.0L Gas

Search this Thread

Old October 24th, 2018, 3:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

The MAP sensor reads the pressure inside the engine intake manifold (usually negative -- a vacuum). It is used by computer to sense the load on the engine, and adjust things like ignition timing and transmission shift points. Ambient barometric pressure is measured by a different sensor.

Trouble code P0108 means that the MAP is giving an unexpected high signal. It could be a malfunction, or the sensor is fine and the pressure really is too high because you have a vacuum leak ... or other things.

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0108
Old October 24th, 2018, 8:12 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes,you are correct,as I am too,I just gave limited info, check out www.fastfieros.com/tech/map,a very informative explanation of map,absolute pressure=atmospheric pressure-manifold pressure
​​​​​
Old October 24th, 2018, 5:54 PM
Super Moderator

No, you are wrong. His van uses a MAF to compensate for altitude. The lower air density at higher altitudes will read as a weaker flow, and the fuel mixture is adjusted accordingly.
As I said, the MAP is used to sense engine load.
I think that article was written before MAFs became more common.
Old October 25th, 2018, 1:41 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks guys,

I took a look the other night for the MAP Sensor. I think I found it on the Engine, under the Firewall, in an inconvenient spot. This led me to closing the hood and calling it a night. I just wasn't into it. I haven't had time, I need to do this in the day when it is not raining. I also need to look at a manual first, perhaps watch a YouTube Video, read the comments, read here. Mechanical work has never interested me, but it sure is a lot simpler with the internet these days.

The truck is running much better after shorting the Battery Terminals and cleaning the MAF Sensor. It still needs a shot of gas if I am starting it warm, but at least now it will stutter at 400 RPM, then just before I think it is going stall out, pick up and level off at 500 - 600 RPM. I am asking myself if I should buy the new MAF Sensor. I wish I had the new Air Filter first to try, then at least I could eliminate the idea that it's not breathing well. I likely will just pick up the new MAF Sensor and put it in with the new Air Filter. There's just so many things to spend money on and it feels like everyone is nickel and diming me where ever I turn.

Checking out the MAP Sensor and looking for vacuum leaks is still good idea. Thanks for the suggestion. I just need the time and a clear mind.
Old November 4th, 2018, 2:23 PM
CF Pro Member

$250 Canadian later and it seems to be fixed. Just need to drive it for a few days to find out for sure.

A gift from the Forest Fires last year (the truck was parked since). All that pollution in the air. At least that is my theory.

$180 Canadian for this part. Just a few pieces of platinum.

I did try cleaning it with the right cleaner, it didn't work.
Old November 4th, 2018, 4:36 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dberladyn
A gift from the Forest Fires last year (the truck was parked since). All that pollution in the air. At least that is my theory.
If you mean the color, I think it's normal. Just a different brand. My last two looked like that (new).

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/exp...er-wash-91961/
Old November 4th, 2018, 5:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Glad it's running better, and my fingers are crossed that it keeps running better.
Old November 4th, 2018, 7:09 PM
CF Pro Member

Starts like new, runs like new. That made a big difference. I am actually quite surprised at the improvement. Thanks for well wishes.

Now... the problem... I should really deal with that HVAC.