Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

34" tires on a G3500

Search this Thread

Old March 22nd, 2019, 7:01 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 34" tires on a G3500

Has anyone been able to fit a 34" tire on an Express? It looks like anything larger than the stock 30" stock tire will rub in the front. I'd love to build mine up as an overlander but the front fenders are really tight and can't be cut because the door frame is right there.

If anyone has had any luck I'd love to see pics and some guidance.
Old March 22nd, 2019, 7:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

I would check the expeditionportal.com forum. Lots of GM van overland modifications over there.

Let us know how it goes.
Old April 9th, 2019, 2:02 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The previous owner of my '02 Express 1500 Explorer conversion van put 18" rims /w 285/60/R18 tires on it and I would NOT recommend this. The tires are approx. 10% oversize and this results in a 10% error in the indicated speed and ODE/TRIP readings, not to mention the AT gear shift speeds are also off. AND, the tires rub on the chassis during tight turns (i.e. every time you need to maneuver to park, do a u-turn, etc.
It is a total disaster and I will be getting rid of them (as soon as I can stomach the price of 4 new tires) and replacing with 255/55R18 tires, which will get the tire diameter back to OEM dimensions.

Peter
Old April 10th, 2019, 7:25 PM
CF Junior Member

Yeah, I wasn’t planning on just banging them on there. It’s gonna take at least a 3” lift and some stiffer front springs to make it happen. Possibly some trimming and such. That’s the sort of info I was looking for.

Also, from what I understand you can reprogram the ECU for larger tires and recalibrate the speedo and such. And that’s also the info I’m looking for.....
Old April 11th, 2019, 1:39 PM
CF Junior Member

Look at the WeldTech Designs coil spacer/spindle lifts. It takes a fair amount of lift and proper wheel offset to pull off 34's without rubbing hard.