Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

3500 Express 70 MPH Limiter

Old August 15th, 2011, 12:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3500 Express 70 MPH Limiter

Hello Forum Gurus

I recently purchased a used 2010 Express van from a company that went out of buisness, when I test drove the van it rode like a dream so I purchased it for the price it was a steal. The dream became a nightmare when I got on the highway and tried to get passed 70 MPH it would bog down I began digging through the internet and found that Chevy provides a 70 MPH limiter (ELEC SPD GOV(9B9)) I cant have this on this truck.

My question is there any way to eliminate or even tweek this module to get a little more top end out of this vehicle. Any true suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I have spent hours searching the web along with forums to see if anyone has asked this and came up with nothing so I decided to post a thread.

In advanced thank you very much for any and all help!!!
Old August 15th, 2011, 2:16 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Theres got to be a fuse for it, but it might not run at all without the fuse in for it as a saftey feature. Only reason I can think of for it is just for delivery speeding liabilities for a company.
Old August 15th, 2011, 5:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the top speed is governed by the programming in the ecm. It will need to be reprogrammed. don't know if the dealer can/will program that out...a tuner/programmer (edge) may be the way to go...remember to put the factory programming back in when you return to the dealer for warranty work.
Old August 15th, 2011, 9:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

look where the OBD2 interface is. See if there is a control harness connected to it. Or if there are TWO of them.

I work with a company that puts these limiters in their Ford E Series Superduty trucks. It limits the speed to 55mph max. If you disconnect this device from the OBD2 connector then the speed limiter is ineffective. You may have the same thing. If not then a trip to the dealer to reprogram the top speed in your PCM is needed.
Old October 24th, 2017, 4:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3500 Express 70 MPH Limiter

Originally Posted by jjhz83
Hello Forum Gurus

I recently purchased a used 2010 Express van from a company that went out of buisness, when I test drove the van it rode like a dream so I purchased it for the price it was a steal. The dream became a nightmare when I got on the highway and tried to get passed 70 MPH it would bog down I began digging through the internet and found that Chevy provides a 70 MPH limiter (ELEC SPD GOV(9B9)) I cant have this on this truck.

My question is there any way to eliminate or even tweek this module to get a little more top end out of this vehicle. Any true suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I have spent hours searching the web along with forums to see if anyone has asked this and came up with nothing so I decided to post a thread.

In advanced thank you very much for any and all help!!!

Have u find any solution for this issue yet? I just got a chevy exp van that have the same issue. Pls let me know.
Thanks
Old October 24th, 2017, 4:48 PM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The vehicle's computer needs to be reprogrammed. I have a former Penske Express truck that starts in Tow/Haul mode always, same thing. I would call the dealer to see if they can reflash. You can also buy a GM MDI (that is a OEM scanner) and a paid subscription at their website to be able to do reprogramming, but I don't know what exactly needs to be done there, like whether you have to have the other file, or can just undo the checkbox.
Old October 24th, 2017, 7:03 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have never had my van over 70 mph to know if I have a limiter on it .. lol
may be something I do in the near future.... I dont drive my van
hardly at all.
Old October 24th, 2017, 7:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

its gotta be an aftermarket speed limiter...the trucks are speed limited to 105mph...i would think the vans are the same.
Old October 24th, 2017, 10:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't know about the 105 thing(yet), but mine loves 70.
Old October 27th, 2017, 10:47 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

105 mph? Does that come with some clean shorts?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3500 Express 70 MPH Limiter