Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

3500 express running hot?

Search this Thread

Old December 4th, 2015, 7:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3500 express running hot?

I'll save you the story.

My gauge reads 103°c

New fan clutch
New rad
New water pump
New thermostat

It will rise up above 103°c during city driving but not much more above. ~106°c It has never boiled over.

On the highway it sits around 101°c

When the engine has warmed up and been driving a while. If you turn the van off come back in 5 minutes turn it on, the temp gauge will read 3/4 of the way up. And as it idles it will come back down to about 103°c

The van did experience some overheating enough to essentially melt the transmission. I had to replace the oil pressure sensor after that as I was not getting a proper reading ( locked at full pressure)

Upper rad hose is hot.
Lower rad hose is cold. (Like outside air cold)

I'm thinking I have a bad coolant temp sensor. Anyone have any other ideas?

FYI 103°c is about 217°f

Last edited by Benjamin Pokol; December 4th, 2015 at 7:03 AM.
Old December 4th, 2015, 7:09 AM
CF Beginner

The rad is full also
Old December 4th, 2015, 8:39 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

50/50 mix?

bled properly?
Old December 4th, 2015, 9:37 AM
CF Beginner

I didn't personally do the work but it was done by a certified machanic so let's assume yes. I will double check with him today though.
Old December 4th, 2015, 10:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thermostat opens at 195 I think, so running all the time around 217 is high.
You could replace the sensor. Just to be sure. Its the one on the block below the heads....not the upper one.
Does the new rad have the proper volume and core size?
Old December 5th, 2015, 9:57 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You don't state the year.

I'm not the one to listen to, as the actual mechanics of an engine never truly bewildered me to the point where I absorbed all aspects of it. However, are you running the proper coolant? I can't place regular old anti-freeze in my rad, it's designed for that newer dexcool.

I suppose you are running with the heater running full blast, I would with your problem. Maybe there's blockage somewhere? What year is it?
Old December 5th, 2015, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

what year and engine? towing? any additional trans, oil, p/s coolers? fan shrouding in place? condenser look free of debris? If you working this van hard I wouldn't get to concerned about it. Something to keep an eye on.

generally, most systems run between 80 and 100*C...thermostats start opening at 80.
all my vehicles generally run about 90*c. I have seen the coolant on my car get up to 100 (it has a digital read out)and I do not consider this abnormal. Would not be enough to merit the cooling fans turning on. This car's cooling system is mint.

Not sure if my truck get up to 100 though. What are other people with this van build running at?
my co-worker had a running hot issue on a used truck he bought. the previous owner put cardboard between the rad and condenser.