Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

'87 G20 engine cover dog house can't get cover off

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2021, 8:24 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '87 G20 engine cover dog house can't get cover off

What is the secret to getting the engine cover off a 1987 G20 van? I've undone the two large side clips and removed a couple of screws at the very bottom. There appear to be two hindges on the bottom as well. I have removed the drink holder panel that was screwed onto the cover and to the dash. This allows me to inspect the top circumference of the cover as well as the sides and I don't see anything along the perimeter of the cover that is holding it. I've felt under the cover, reaching back with the hood open and there appears to be some stiff wire going into some kind of little metal plate but I can't figure out if that is a latch that is under the cover or not. I've used a flashlight to go all the way around the perimeter of the cover inside the cab and I cannot see any more screws or locks holding the cover down. I've also taken a large screwdriver and tried various places to pry the cover away from the engine and it feels stuck solid. I also got the tip of my fingers under the cover at one place and pulled with all my might and it would not budge.
Old April 14th, 2021, 7:25 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Old April 20th, 2021, 4:07 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Remove the lower dash, remove the two bolts, fold the hinges up, remove the side clips and it should pull right off. Seats may need to be moved all the way back for it to clear the dash.