Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

95 chev beauville electrical

Search this Thread

Old October 14th, 2010, 1:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 chev beauville electrical

The problem that I have encountered is this. When I turn the key on there is no power to the dash gauges or starter. The headlights, interior lights work, So the van works when it wants to. It started today for about 5 mins and then it just quit. I waited a few mins and it restart no problem. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by eaglesoar75; October 14th, 2010 at 1:48 PM.
Old October 17th, 2010, 8:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From what you described, I say the problem is probably in the steering column. Your ignition lock cylinder and/or switch is out of order. Was this car stolen or in an accident? You're going to have to open up the steering column and see what it does when the key is in the cylinder. I bet the contacts have moved.
Old October 18th, 2010, 9:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks will be checking that out to. I just found out that I can start the van in all gears to so going to change the neutral safety switch as well. Thanks again in advance.
Old October 18th, 2010, 8:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

And that may be the problem also. when you pull on the gear selector lever you may be putting the NSS switch between gear ranges which is why it doesnt start. But the runtime for guage and dash lights is from the Ig. Switch in the column when you turn the key to RUN. My Cadillac has this problem, it starts in P and in N but you have to toggle the lever in the N range to get a perfect connection. This I found out AFTER I replaced the NSS.

I m new to GM stuff but when this happened in a Ford the contacts on one side of the switch separated from the housing and either you knock them back in place, cheap, or replace the switch.