Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

airbag light is on

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2018, 9:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default airbag light is on

Hello,

I have recently bought a new (to me) Express van. When i bought it the Stabilitrac and airbag lights were on. I have since fixed the Stabilitrac problem (was a steering wheel position sensor).
The van is a 2016 Express 3500 passenger with the 6.0 in it. Mileage on it is about 7,500 right now i think. It has been wrecked before, in a collision with an animal, with airbags deployed. I'm thinking the previous owner tried to fix some of the issues himself and was unable to, but i'm not positive.

I've got the codes pulled on the SRS, and here's what they are:
b0019 -0E low resistance
b0022 -04 open
b0015 -04 open
b0086 -05 high voltage/open
b0091 -05 high voltage/open

I'm just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this, with there being so many codes/symptoms. I know i can replace the sensors and pretensioners, but that get costly quick. Just want to make sure kinda before i replace.
I know the previous had a small little dog that liked to chew on stuff, so was wonderinig if maybe it got a hold of these thin wires, which might result in these symptoms. Another thing is that these connectors seem to kinda be finicky, and was thinking that might be a source of the problem possibly.

What i'm planning on doing is check the resistance on the pretensioners to start with and make sure they're good/bad.
I guess i could swap the left and right door impact sensor and see if the problem follows the sensor, but would hate to pull doors apart for a long shot.
The Passenger Instrument panel air bag loop Stage 1 i'm not real sure on yet. If i can locate the passenger airbag connector i guess i can ohm the airbag and make sure it's good.

If anyone has any insight into this, i'd love to hear it. Hopefully i can get this thing going soon,i'm currently not really driving it.

Any help or suggestions willl be greatly appreciated.
Old March 24th, 2018, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

do not check resistance in any airbag circuit...unless directed to do so in service information...ohm meters sends current into the circuit and you could cause a deployment.

when airbags go off...there is an inspection list in service information you must go through. the sdm must be replaced as well as any deployed pretensioner or air bag module.
the proper way to test airbag circuits is with a load tool that simulates the load(ressistance) of the air bag. if the fault goes stored...replace part simulated by the load tool.