Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Anyone Switch from Suburban to Express?

Search this Thread

Old August 28th, 2018, 9:22 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Switch from Suburban to Express?

I've got a GMT800 Suburban with almost 400k miles. It is vehicle I really enjoy, but I am looking for more space as the family gets bigger, so I'm considering full size vans.

For anyone who made the switch from a Suburban to Express [Passenger], what sorts of things did you appreciate or miss?

Also especially, how was the ride quality in the Express compared to the Suburban?
[I've seen tons of comparisons between Express and Econoline, Express and Transit, etc... but my base-line is a suburban.]

Thank you, Chris
Old August 28th, 2018, 2:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I can't help you. I came from an Astro. But I can tell you about ride. My Express was a year old, w/ 19k. It was stiff as a 18 wheeler. It was suggested that I get these;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2015-GM...d=322012334081

And of course, they don't have any more, but you may find them elsewhere. But the difference was night and day. It is still a truck, but it doesn't ride like one.
Old August 28th, 2018, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

I would expect the 3500 to be stiff, being the 1 ton model. I can't say the same about my 1500. In fact it could be stiffer. But they don't make 'em since 2014.

A full size van may be overkill for just kid-haulin. I'd take a hard look at the fuel economy numbers. The new City Express might be better suited (which I have zero experience with) if you were intent on staying with GM.
Old August 28th, 2018, 11:02 PM
CF Veteran

City Express is discontinued. And I don't remember a passenger version.
Old August 28th, 2018, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

Hm, so it is, as of February.
Buy a Sprinter lol.
Old August 29th, 2018, 11:06 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by StanVan
...It was stiff as a 18 wheeler. It was suggested that I get these... It is still a truck, but it doesn't ride like one.
I'll definitely keep those shocks in mind. It seems these body on frame vans (including other manufacturers) are fundamentally similar, and some suspension mods may be all it takes to put them on a level playing field.

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
I would expect the 3500 to be stiff, being the 1 ton model. I can't say the same about my 1500. In fact it could be stiffer. But they don't make 'em since 2014.

A full size van may be overkill for just kid-haulin. I'd take a hard look at the fuel economy numbers. The new City Express might be better suited (which I have zero experience with) if you were intent on staying with GM.
I'm picturing buying something in the 3-5 year old range, so 2014 would be just fine. Like you implied, I don't really need the weight capacity, I need the space of a larger van. The fuel economy numbers look big up front, but when working it out they're not that bad. When looking at a Sprinter with much better fuel economy, I only save about $1000 per year (while having to spend at least that much more in initial cost)... which makes it a wash. I don't have to stay with GM, but I'm already familiar with the maintenance of my Suburban and it has been reliable.

The City Express would be way too small at this point. My Suburban already seats 9, and I'm regularly out of space.

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
...Buy a Sprinter lol.
The Sprinter was the van I've been looking for the longest. They seem to have intense issues if not correctly maintained, and sometimes have intense issues even when done right. I still really want one, but I'm looking at other options because of the uncertainty of a used one.
Old August 29th, 2018, 11:34 AM
CF Veteran

I am not a fan of the Euro styling of the Sprinter.
Old August 29th, 2018, 3:35 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's a little story of our journey from an Expedition to the Express...

We used to own a 2001 Ford Expedition, but as our family grew, it became impossible to access the 3rd row with car seats in the 2nd row (our oldest had to enter through the rear hatch). Plus, with the 3rd row installed there was no cargo space. We ended up buying a used 2012 Toyota Sienna (which we still have), and it has been a fantastic family vehicle. All 3 rows are easily accessible, and because the 3rd row folds into the floor, there is substantial cargo space for luggage, etc in that well behind the 3rd row. I added a set of manually adjustable air bags to help with sag when loading it up for long trips (they fit inside the the rear coil spring, are connected together via an air line, and I installed the port in the rear side compartment of the van for adjustments. About 10lbs of air keeps everything riding nice and level). Additionally, we only averaged around 13 mpg with the Expedition, the minivan gets around 22 mpg with mixed use. However, family still growing (we have 5 kids), the minivan gets tight on long trips, and we wanted to start camping. I can't tow anything with the minivan... so...

This led us to a used 2016 Express 3500 extended version with the gas 6.0L and custom seats. Yes, custom seats, but not really a conversion van. We were not fond of the bench seats, and saw pictures online similar to the one we bought (so we knew they existed). I was really interested in the 6.6L diesel (like this: https://www.windyhillauto.com/2015_C...H_22519274.veh), but I can buy a LOT of gas for the $15,000 we saved by buying the 6.0L. The 6.0L hauls our 7,000-7,500lbs travel trailer with no problems. Sure, we slow down a bit on big hills, but that's ok. I will say that the suspension is stiff, but I expected it. We average around 14 mpg with the Express, but it's HUGE!
Old August 30th, 2018, 12:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Biggest difference going from a suburban to a van, is the leg room in a van is shorter, your body position is higher and more upright, and your right knee will be against something......lol

The interior trim is cheaper and more plastic. I personally hate the door panels. I need a foam elbow pad or something. The pickup truck/tahoe/suburban line get the nice trim, better tech and better and more advanced drivetrain. Teh vans seem to get the dumbed down version of everything. However, you cannot touch the convenience of the cargo volume, interior height, and passenger space a van offers.
Old August 30th, 2018, 9:47 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by GatorHawk24
...This led us to a used 2016 Express 3500 extended version with the gas 6.0L and custom seats. Yes, custom seats, but not really a conversion van. We were not fond of the bench seats, and saw pictures online similar to the one we bought (so we knew they existed). I was really interested in the 6.6L diesel (like this: https://www.windyhillauto.com/2015_C...H_22519274.veh), but I can buy a LOT of gas for the $15,000 we saved by buying the 6.0L. The 6.0L hauls our 7,000-7,500lbs travel trailer with no problems. Sure, we slow down a bit on big hills, but that's ok. I will say that the suspension is stiff, but I expected it. We average around 14 mpg with the Express, but it's HUGE!
I'm already averaging around 14 with my Suburban, so I'm prepared for it. Did you have the custom seats installed, or did you find one with them already?
Did you ever consider airbags for the Express (and if so, do you imagine the ride would change much)?

Quick Reply: Anyone Switch from Suburban to Express?