Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

backup camera for Chevy Express 2015

Search this Thread

Old October 14th, 2016, 10:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default backup camera for Chevy Express 2015

Hello there ,

I have a Chevy Express 2015, and plan to install a backup camera and need to see trailer hitch ,but not want to drill holes on my van . After search , I found a two kinds 3RD brake light camera looks fine , which both integrated into third brake house. one is cheaper ,but I think viewing angle is not good enough to see trailer hitch ,another is better ,but more expensive ,what can I do ?

this is what I found on eBay and Google :
Vardsafe Backup Brake Light Camera for Chevrolet Express Van GMC Savana Van | eBay
https://brakelightcamera.com/product...ss-gmc-savana/

does anyone install this camera ,please advice .
Attached Images  
Old October 15th, 2016, 1:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My factory one is on the licence plate frame.....that one above the door won't show the hitch will it? (angle)
Old October 15th, 2016, 10:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Depending on your VIN, the wiring harness may have the camera wires in it. If so, the factory parts are not that expensive to install the camera in the trim that holds the license plate. The question then is where does the other end of the wiring harness leave the camera wires? I was almost set to install the factory camera on mine with the image in the mirror. I did not have the harness as thought by the Chevy dealer who looked up my VIN. I comfirnmed that by the removal of my rear door interior trim. Bummer. I might still do as being an electrician I understand the wiring. It's the removal of the headliner with those pesky air bags that cause me to loose sleep. Otherwise for around $600 or so you can have the factory system with the mirror display. I found new parts in Chicago very affordable and a dealer who will help you with the VIN search.

Since my harness did not have the wires for the camera in the rear door, I stopped looking. So the million dollar question remains, if so equipped, where does the factory leave the other end?

I would prefer the factory set up but I may consider an aftermarket like you are looking at. I installed a rear camera on my service van. It is a Voyager RV unit that can handle up to 5 cameras. It is on all the time and I can angle the camera to the hitch and back up to see what's behind me from the comforts of the drivers seat. Factory direct remain unit. $800.00. I installed it. Looks factory for the most part. I'm **** that way. Took a long Saturday to remove the inside of the roof of the service body and cut the plastic so it is flush mount. Sweet!

Good luck with what ever you choose. Post what you pick and why. Love to see it.

Isaac
Old October 16th, 2016, 7:26 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Before my current van, I had one of the two aftermarket third brake light cameras you mentioned. It came with more than enough wire. I can't comment on the field of view because I never hooked it up before I traded for a van with a factory camera. Personally, if I was going to go aftermarket, I would get the one pictured. The texture of the light matches the factory light. The one I had was smooth and for my eyes, it should out too much to be appealing.
Old November 27th, 2016, 9:53 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by SchnauzerKing
Depending on your VIN, the wiring harness may have the camera wires in it. If so, the factory parts are not that expensive to install the camera in the trim that holds the license plate. The question then is where does the other end of the wiring harness leave the camera wires? I was almost set to install the factory camera on mine with the image in the mirror. I did not have the harness as thought by the Chevy dealer who looked up my VIN. I comfirnmed that by the removal of my rear door interior trim. Bummer. I might still do as being an electrician I understand the wiring. It's the removal of the headliner with those pesky air bags that cause me to loose sleep. Otherwise for around $600 or so you can have the factory system with the mirror display. I found new parts in Chicago very affordable and a dealer who will help you with the VIN search.

Since my harness did not have the wires for the camera in the rear door, I stopped looking. So the million dollar question remains, if so equipped, where does the factory leave the other end?

I would prefer the factory set up but I may consider an aftermarket like you are looking at. I installed a rear camera on my service van. It is a Voyager RV unit that can handle up to 5 cameras. It is on all the time and I can angle the camera to the hitch and back up to see what's behind me from the comforts of the drivers seat. Factory direct remain unit. $800.00. I installed it. Looks factory for the most part. I'm **** that way. Took a long Saturday to remove the inside of the roof of the service body and cut the plastic so it is flush mount. Sweet!

Good luck with what ever you choose. Post what you pick and why. Love to see it.

Isaac
thank you for your advice.
Old November 27th, 2016, 9:55 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by dberladyn
Before my current van, I had one of the two aftermarket third brake light cameras you mentioned. It came with more than enough wire. I can't comment on the field of view because I never hooked it up before I traded for a van with a factory camera. Personally, if I was going to go aftermarket, I would get the one pictured. The texture of the light matches the factory light. The one I had was smooth and for my eyes, it should out too much to be appealing.
thank you. I also think the picture attached texture of the light matches the factory light.
Old November 27th, 2016, 9:57 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by canucklehead
My factory one is on the licence plate frame.....that one above the door won't show the hitch will it? (angle)
I think the second one is better for hitch,thank you.