Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Bleeding Power Steering Issue

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2019, 10:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bleeding Power Steering Issue

Hi, I have a new to me 2005 Chevrolet Express AWD with the 5.3L that I am going through and changing all the fluids.

I did a power steering bleed by pulling the 3/8" return line to the pump and turning the steering wheel lock to lock with the engine off while adding more fluid along the way. I didn't think that I let it run dry but maybe I did and now I have a mean shudder when I try to turn the wheel lock to lock with the engine on. The shudder is so bad I have to shut the engine off to stop it. It will only do it when the engine is on, when it is off it feels smooth. I am doing all of this on jack stands and wheels off the ground.

I have tried to turn the steering wheel lock to lock with the engine off with and without a vacuum at the reservoir (15 in/HG), I have turned it lock to lock line 100 times and the shudder is still there. Did this all with wheels off the ground, it's still on jack stands now.

There is no leak because the system holds vacuum just fine.

I used carquest power steering fluid that stated specicially that it was compatible with the GM pn: 89021184 that my manual calls for.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. I am off the parts store now to get valvoline PS fluid hoping that another bleed with cure the issue.

Thanks

Old May 9th, 2019, 12:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless something fell into the pump, or debris was pushed through the lines, I'd just drive it for a bit. It's a reservoir type hydraulic system, so removing a line and allowing fluid to escape shouldn't pose an issue. The system will simply purge the air as it runs and draw fresh fluid from the reservoir. Turning the wheel with the engine off may have forced air into where air isn't supposed to go. So it may take a bit to bleed out.
Old May 13th, 2019, 9:41 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

after the fluid exchange you should just run the motor and check the fluid....the pump will suck a lot of fluid in.....while it is running the pump will work all the air out into the reservoir.....
Old May 13th, 2019, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 614 Likes on 555 Posts

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/exp...56/#post352942