Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Bought a beautiful Express conversion van, but realized it has some rust underneath

Search this Thread

Old March 11th, 2020, 9:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 620 Likes on 561 Posts

Be careful what you put on the frame. Some coatings make things worse.

I thought Arizona cars stayed bone dry and lasted forever?
Old March 12th, 2020, 11:16 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with the post above. Don't waste you time/money trying to treat surface rust on the frame members, but DO take the time to thoroughly inspect all the brake hard lines for rust and eliminate any rust if found.
Old March 12th, 2020, 11:46 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Yep coating is a waste of money IMO.
The only thing I would do is to take a pressure washer if you have one and rinse underneath to remove dirt and mud as much as you can. This stuff trap moisture and help rust to go further.
If there is no humidity then the rust stop.
Old March 18th, 2020, 4:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had my mechanic at work take a quick look at the van and he liked it. He didn't seem too concerned about the rust underneath. Of course I'll have him put the van on the rack and go over it in more detail, checking out the brake lines and everything else.

I still eventually want to clean up all the frame rust with a brush, and spray it with a heavy duty black lacquer, it will look so nice then. Maybe I'll get to that, maybe I won't bother.

My next vehicle is going to be BRAND NEW. I'm in my mid 40's and have never had a new vehicle before. Maybe a Chevy Colorado with a highrise topper. I'm planning to go back into truck driving where I can make better money. I still have my CDL. Of course everything is on hold right now with this coronavirus stuff.
Old March 18th, 2020, 4:17 PM
Super Moderator

in my opinion, new vehicles are a terrible use of money because they devalue so quickly. I would rather save my money for retirement.
Old May 5th, 2020, 3:42 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the new van; it looks great, including the undercarriage.

For what it's worth, here's my "technique" for treating the undercarriage. I give the undercarriage a good cleaning with a pressure washer, let it dry, then get under there and go crazy with few cans of cheap gloss black spray paint. I do this maybe every year or so. I have been doing this for years and it is an inexpensive way to keep the frame, wheel wells, and other areas prone rust, looking good and eliminating (or at least minimizing) rust.
Old May 27th, 2020, 1:31 AM
CF Beginner

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure if I want to laugh or cry about it, but when I scrolled down to the pictures of the "rust problem" I thought to myself that that's nothing compared to how cars look up here in maryland

dang winter, dang salt on the road, dang weather, it's not good for ya cars!
Old December 15th, 2020, 4:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dripless oil spray is the best for creeping into areas that are hard to get at and especially brake,fuel and cooler lines. I've been spraying my vehicles for 50 years with one kind of oil or another and it prevents areas that are already rusting from progressing, cheap and works. just need a place to park while the excess falls to the ground.
The following users liked this post:
Sean Rothar (February 25th, 2021)
Old December 15th, 2020, 6:41 PM
CF Active Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I just moved up here to Ohio after growing up in the rust-free south. My van doesn't have a speck of rust on it. The vehicles up here are rough.. it pains me to see the salt destroying these cars. I get a wash, wax, and undercarriage blast every time we get snow/rain and salt. Your van is fine, zero concerns with rust. You have a few minor spots but honestly nothing compared to the rust carnage up here. Looks like you got a sweet van, best of luck with it!
Old December 16th, 2020, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Scottie409
dripless oil spray is the best for creeping into areas that are hard to get at and especially brake,fuel and cooler lines. I've been spraying my vehicles for 50 years with one kind of oil or another and it prevents areas that are already rusting from progressing, cheap and works. just need a place to park while the excess falls to the ground.
is it just some general purpose oil, or something designed for this application? What do you spray it with?

Quick Reply: Bought a beautiful Express conversion van, but realized it has some rust underneath