Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Brake Fluid Contamination on 2005 Express V8 6.0 Rear Wheel Drive

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2017, 3:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Fluid Contamination on 2005 Express V8 6.0 Rear Wheel Drive

I am paying some serious stupid tax for this one...

About 4 months ago we bought a used 3500 Express van and a few days into owning, I checked the brake fluid level and it was a little low. We were out using the "new to us" van for a camping trip with some friends. I scrounged around the cab and found what I thought was the bottle of brake fluid, so I poured about a dollop (in precise measurements about 2 glugs ) in before I stopped and looked at the bottle...crap. The only problem was I didn't have any thing on hand to suck it out and, if we're being honest, I was too embarrassed to admit I made this stupid mistake. I ran back around to the cab and swapped the bottle and filled the rest up with the correct DOT3. Needless to say, I just told myself, "Ah, it was just a little bit...it won't hurt anything...right?....yeah, it wont hurt." So we complete the weekend trip...I forget about the "minor" mishap.

Less than 1 month later, I am driving around town, engine is warm and after a few stop lights, all of a sudden it feels like I am towing a Boeing 747 behind me and the ABS/Traction Control light it on. I had to have the engine at 4000 rpm just to move. I pull off and front left rotor is just smoking, everything smells like burnt brakes. It didn't hit me at that time that it was contamination. In fact, I thought it was the hydro-boost because it had been leaking some from the weep hole and I had just talked to my mechanic about it.

Anyways, I paid $215 for another Hydro-boost and installed it, stupidly thinking that was the issue. So I put the master cylinder back on the hydro (did not mess with the Master Cylinder or any lines). Crank the van, brake pedal feels great for the first three pushes or so. I left it running for about 25 minutes so the vehicle got warm...sure enough, I walk back out and the ABS light is on, and the brakes feel hard as a rock. I cant move the truck 1 ft without revving the engine to 4-5k rpm.

I walk back inside, ready to spit nails... After 10+ hours of google, I'm learning my "minor" mishap in contamination was anything but.

So it seems I am looking at a 95% rebuild of the brake system. I am currently thinking I will leave the brake lines and simply flush them, however I will replace Master Cylinder, Rubber Lines, ABS control unit, and calipers. Almost $1000 worth of parts. Holy shnikes...

There are two questions outstanding:
  1. Replace all Brake Lines or just flush?
  2. Should I replace the ABS Pump/Motor? This model of van has a nipple on the front of the Brake Fluid reservoir with a low pressure line that feeds to an electronic motor mounted on the driver side front frame. That unit has a single brake line that goes to a T on its way to the ABS control unit. The local dealership called the motor "Break Pressure Modulator Valve Motor" Dealer Part # 15269816. I am curious if this motor has to be replaced....really hoping not. The dealer didn't even know. See below for pics of what I am talking about.
If replace is the answer for these two items, this would be a 100% rebuild of the brake system. I do NOT have the money to pay someone to do this ($2K+).