Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Brake Rotor Question

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2014, 3:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Rotor Question

So I had the rotors and pads replaced on my 1993 G20. Not a cheap repair as the rotors cost more due to the built in wheel hub. Anyway, that was last year and 20,000 miles ago. Now the rotors feel like they are warped. They are NAPA brand and went out of warranty 6 weeks ago. A mechanic told me that an error was made in the installation last year. The rear brakes were not adjusted at the time the fronts were done causing all the braking to come from the front rotors, hence, warping them prematurely.

Does this make sense? I've never heard this reasoning with a brake job, but I do have severe wobble in the wheel when I apply the brakes.
Old April 1st, 2014, 11:56 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the fronts do the majority of the braking in general, but that being said, it does make sense if the backs weren't working at all, that the front ones warped.

I would go talk to napa and see what they say. 6 weeks might be close enough for them.
Old April 2nd, 2014, 12:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No. Makes no sense. It would be pretty hard to warp those rotors. Are you sure that they are? If the caliper slide pins get rusty at the ends then the caliper won't float properly and you get uneven pad wear and so on.
What is the rest of the front brakes like?
Rear brakes self adjust, so your mechanics comment sounds like bs to me.
Are the rotors beyond turning?
Need more info.
Old April 2nd, 2014, 5:53 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not so sure you have warped rotors. You say a wobble in the steering wheel. You should feel a pulsating in the brake pedal. The harder your brake the worse the pulsating.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 3:52 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had warped rotors
Once the brakes were heated up, the steering wheel and/or brake pedal would pulsate
I figured it would be pointless to have my rotors turned because it only shook when the brakes were hot

i replaced the rotors and pads on the front and everything is good