Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Crank no start

Search this Thread

Old August 4th, 2018, 1:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank no start

Hi I’m a new member so please be patient. Also thank you in advance for any help. I have a 2001 Chevy express 2500 with 4.3 vortec. I was going down interstate and vehicle just died like out of fuel but had over half tank. So checked fuses and relay before getting towed home and they were all good with the exception of the big 50 amp aux 2 fuse under hood. Anyway figured fuel pump because couldn’t hear it power on and bought from auction couple months before and assumed fuel had been setting up and possibly gummed up filter and caused pump to burn up. So changed fuel pump module and filter and still crank but no start. So then started investing further and do have 62 psi at rail and doesn’t bleed down. So started looking at ignition. 3 gears were broken on dizzy gear so replaced entire dizzy, coil, plugs, and wires along with crankshaft sensor. Made sure #1 was at TDC on compression stroke by lining up the 2 marks on harmonic balancer at the 1 and 4 o’clock positions and also rotor button was pointing at the 6 that is molded on dizzy housing to be pointing at #1 cylinder. Still same crank but no start. Have spark at all plugs and good fuel pressure at rail. I also smell gas when trying to start. Started looking for a possible ground issue and did find that with test light hooked to positive side of battery when I touch fuses in fuse box light would light up meaning I have a positive and a negative right? Also thing on pink wire going to ignition switch. Unplug connector to ignition switch and light goes off when touching pink wire at ignition switch meaning negative or ground was taking away. Am I correct? I noticed on spider going to injector has several pink wires and all reading ground with test light to battery positive. Also reading a ground on fuses under hood. Eng 1, Ecm 1, and Ign E fuses all light up test light when light is hooked to positive post on battery and touch end to these fuses with test light tip. Same readings when the pcm unplugged and removed. Really not sure where to go next. Also good compression. Does anyone have a clue where to go next. Thanks in advance. Bruce
Old August 4th, 2018, 1:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

You might just be putting the light in series with the circuits you are probing. I would use a multimeter to see what is really going on.

I seem to recall that the poppet valves on the vortec 4.3s are problematic. GM issued an updated injector spider assembly to replace it.
Old August 4th, 2018, 7:42 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce barnes
So started looking at ignition. 3 gears were broken on dizzy gear so replaced entire dizzy, coil, plugs, and wires along with crankshaft sensor. Made sure #1 was at TDC on compression stroke by lining up the 2 marks on harmonic balancer at the 1 and 4 o’clock positions. Still same crank but no start.
Hi, did you say the gears at the bottom of the distributor shaft were broken? Are those pieces floating around the engine? So you removed the distributor, did you mark the shaft for a reference? The compression stroke is not necessarily achieved by simply lining up the line on the harmonic balancer with the tab. I don't understand what you mean "at the 1 and 4 o'clock positions".

Are you sure the distributor was installed correctly? Was the #1 plug removed to feel (air blowing out) for the compression stroke? Then you line up harmonic balancer line with the "0" on the tab, that would be TDC, then have the rotor pointing to #1 on the cap. I've read there is a "6" stamped into the distributor housing edge, you line up the rotor to that.
Old August 4th, 2018, 8:25 PM
CF Beginner

Hi guys thanks for reply’s. Yes gears broken on bottom gear. Pull oil pan and pump to clean. But did change dizzy. Marked it before coming out but didn’t know if broken gears would make out of time. So pulled #1 plug and used compression gauge till started to read compression then from there lined marks up on harmonic balancer. Also lined up dimple on bottom of dizzy with mark on shaft and turned oil pump shaft to line up with notch on dizzy shaft. That way when dropped in and rotated the rotor button wound up pointing to the 6 mark stamped into dizzy housing. If you follow path of electrode across dizzy cap this is where electrode for #1 cylinder fires from. It’s actually on right side of cap but it is where electrode for #1 runs to.
Old August 4th, 2018, 8:34 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the reply, have you pulled a plug to see if they are wet? Have you tried a shot of starting fluid into the air cleaner tube?
Old August 4th, 2018, 8:42 PM
CF Beginner

Yes pulled plug. Smelt gas strongly and also smell out of tailpipe not sure plug was very wet but did smell gas strongly. Did not try starting fluid. I can tomorrow. If it cranks for a second that probably indicates the spider not supplying correctly, right? And again I’m asking not telling because I’m at wits end on it. If try starting fluid tomorrow and it cranks for a second I know I have a fuel issue , but if it don’t start momentarily it probably ignition correct. What else would I check in that case. Thanks.
Old August 4th, 2018, 10:04 PM
CF Beginner

Oh yeah what I meant by 1 and 4 o’clock positions is my harmonic balancer has 2 marks on it. The first mark actually lines up towards the bottom of engine on a mark under there and the second mark lines up on timing mark (cut out V) up top . And it’s around the 1 o’clock position.
Old August 28th, 2018, 3:46 PM
CF Beginner

I have a very similar problem with my 2000 express 5.7l. I am at my wits end!