Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Fast turn signals when cold but work fine when interior is warm

Search this Thread

Old January 2nd, 2019, 11:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LCAC_Man
you could got out when it's cold and run a hair dryer directly on the flasher module to see if that works...if it does it pretty much confirms it as the problem. It maybe any one of the connectors inline that (if cold enough and they are a little loose) that the plastic shrinks a bit and you lose contact as the plastic warms you get it back...not really a common thing to see though..
Finally got around to testing the flasher with a hair dryer. Holidays are busy times. It was confirmed that the flasher is sensitive to temperature. Got a replacement on order.

I opened the unit up but all the soldier joints looked good. Oh well, it is only a $50 part

Thanks all for the input and conversation.
Old January 2nd, 2019, 11:44 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by dberladyn
Hi all. I have a 2004 Chevy Express passenger van. The turn signals have been flashing fast only when it's cold out. Both directions the same. When the vehicle interior temp is warm it works fine. It started doing this last year, but this year its more noticable. im due for inspection. Thoughts?

I find it odd, but I forget how those work. Perhaps temperature would affect it. As for inspection, does the State say how many times a light can flash in a minute? If the truck is warm at inspection time it shouldn't matter.
Well, when it is cold like late December in PA the blinker is basically constant making a turn signal useless. I'm pretty sure blinkers must work better than that.

Also had thought about taking it in warm but my inspection guy has me drop off the van and he does the insection between jobs. It is likely to cool off begbefhe gets to it.
Old January 2nd, 2019, 11:46 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by dberladyn
Hi all. I have a 2004 Chevy Express passenger van. The turn signals have been flashing fast only when it's cold out. Both directions the same. When the vehicle interior temp is warm it works fine. It started doing this last year, but this year its more noticable. im due for inspection. Thoughts?

I find it odd, but I forget how those work. Perhaps temperature would affect it. As for inspection, does the State say how many times a light can flash in a minute? If the truck is warm at inspection time it shouldn't matter.
I will try to post a pick of the internals when I swap it.
Old January 4th, 2019, 4:43 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Worth noting, particularly on 96-02, the wiring harness can corrode and the ground go bad and cause issues with the turn signals. Sometimes just wiggling the wires will fix it temporarily.
Old January 4th, 2019, 4:55 PM
CF Beginner

In my case, switching the flasher fixed it.

25746427 (with trailering option) located under the dash between the steering column and the radio. Just turn on your hazards and let the sound guide you

It has 6 electric switches on it.

Old January 4th, 2019, 5:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

A relay for each light bulb? (4 for the car, 2 for a trailer?) Seems a bit too much. But I love overkill.
Old January 6th, 2019, 7:52 AM
CF Junior Member

I think it's two for the trailer option, two for turn signals and two for hazards...I'd have to look at the schematic again to confirm. Glad you found your problem!
Old January 6th, 2019, 7:55 AM
CF Beginner

So the issue was consistent with the hazards and the blinkers, I wonder what went wrong that affected both equally?
Old January 6th, 2019, 10:03 AM
CF Junior Member

probably a cold solder joint on a return for the coils, they would likely be tied together.