Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Frame vin stamp?

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2022, 7:10 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Frame vin stamp?

Hi,

I know my older 84 k1500 pickup has it's vin partially stamped on the frame on the passenger side, is there a vin stamped on the frame of an 05 express van? I heard there wasn't, and I might be doing a frame swap possibly and don't want mismatched numbers.
Old July 1st, 2022, 3:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

When or if you do a frame swap, be sure to document the purchase transaction. Signed purchase receipts, frame number, sellers address etc. Quite a few states require a duplicate (frame) VIN when registering a used vehicle for the first time. If the frame VIN doesn't match the body VIN, questions get asked and registrations are refused.
Old July 3rd, 2022, 11:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by og52
When or if you do a frame swap, be sure to document the purchase transaction. Signed purchase receipts, frame number, sellers address etc. Quite a few states require a duplicate (frame) VIN when registering a used vehicle for the first time. If the frame VIN doesn't match the body VIN, questions get asked and registrations are refused.

Right, but my question is, is the vin located on the frame at all? I seem to have read a thead that express vans don't have the frames listed with the vins, so there is no frame identification paperwork needed, is this true? If not, where is the location of the vin?
Old July 3rd, 2022, 7:31 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Check the frame between the passenger and front side door. I seem to recall a number there.
Old July 28th, 2022, 2:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by og52
Check the frame between the passenger and front side door. I seem to recall a number there.
Found it. The entire vin is stamped next to the cab mount behind the rear of the front passenger side door. There are 2 cab mounts at the front behind the bumper, 2 cab mounts (either side of the frame) that are ahead of the front doors, then 2 more cab mounts just behind those (if you don't count the cab mounts by the front bumper that are harder to see, looking under the cab, you will see 2 cab mounts under the front door, the vin is located behind [closer to the rest bumper] the second cab mount, on the passenger side, outer frame (should be able to see it just by ducking down and looking at the frame face.)

​​​​​​My van is an 05, in 03 a major change to the chassis happened, so I don't know if the 96-02 are the same.

There was a sticker covering the first 4 digits of the vin, and they were almost intelligible because of it, but the rest of the vin matched.

Note: there is a sticker under the cab behind the front driver side door, there are a number of things on this sticker, none of them seem to be related to the vin number at all, but rather reflect internal GM labelling and stock info.

There is also a number stamped into the cab mount behind the front door, driver side, parallel to the actual vin on the passenger side: this number doesn't appear to be related to the vin number, either. Disregard
The following users liked this post:
og52 (July 29th, 2022)