Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Front end violently shaking like its Death Wobble

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2013, 1:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end violently shaking like its Death Wobble

Recently purchased 2009 Chevy 2500 Express Conversion Van has 90,000 miles violently shakes (front end) when going over slight road bumps.

Ok under 40 mph. i see previous owner at 74,000 had the steering gear Repaired/Replaced. from my understanding they generally need replacing every 70,000?? in any case the steering wheel at 3 mph rocks left and right a few inches when ever slight bumps. What's going on?? what part of the Front End do i focus on first??
Old October 27th, 2013, 2:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you check all the ball joints? If you don't know how, take it for an inspection.
Is there any vibration at speed?
Does it worsen or improve while braking?
Old October 27th, 2013, 7:52 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I would agree with canucklehead Take it in for an alignment, most shops will at least diagnose it for you for no charge... then you can opt to do the work yourself or have them do it... either way you will most likely need an alignment after all work is completed...
Old October 27th, 2013, 1:37 PM
CF Beginner

Canucklehead -- Nothing inspected yet. i thought ball joints / wheel assembly and alignments and tires can't possibly be the direct cause of my entire Front End going so crazy like its all ready to fall off. But that there is some Front End Parts that are faulty being affected by bad wheel parts or tires / alignment.

Can't tell if braking makes it worse cause its so bad as it is. When going over 40 hitting ANY bumps slowly starts going into a violent shake i feel it coming on so i start braking and it does not stop it instead it just keeps getting worse as i am braking but if i don't brake it does the same as when i brake. 25-30 brings her out of it.
All is fine with everything on smooth roads no problems with anything nor any steering vibrations. Braking is fine.
Old October 27th, 2013, 7:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This might sound like a shot in the dark, but I had a bad spark plug so no spark on number 5 cylinder, and it vibrated like crazy at low rpms......Do you have any engine miss? Just to rule that out.
Swap the front tires to the rear and see if there is a bent wheel issue.
Are the wheels the right ones for the van? i.e. not centred properly on the hubs because of no taper for the wheel lugs to center on.....etc
Old October 29th, 2013, 10:22 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it keeps getting worse as you are braking could be a brake problem? Caliper hanging up... friend had this problem on a jeep as you describe took a month to figure out it was the right brake not releasing.
Old October 30th, 2013, 9:12 PM
CF Beginner

Jack front of vehicle off the ground and grab tire top and bottom to see if you can wiggle it, then grab by left and right side and do the same. If there is movement, you have suspension parts that are worn.

On another note, I actually had a car with the same symptoms and it was just the front axle bearing that were too loose. Another time, a tire shop didn't tighten the lug nut down tight enough!

Some repair shops will put it on a lift and inspect for free.

Good luck.
Old October 20th, 2015, 1:24 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same thing here 2003 GMC 2500

I'm having the same problem.If I hit bumps..esp uneven ones ..on the expressway & maybe brake at the same time? Violent shaking.....only goes away when I back down to about 25 MPH. Taking it in tomorrow.
Old October 21st, 2015, 10:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check to see if your swaybar endlinks are still attached
The following users liked this post:
FireEMT978 (April 28th, 2022)
Old November 25th, 2015, 12:54 PM
CF Beginner

im experiencing the same. cheap *** brake rotors warped. ball joints are shot. im about to replace ball joints, tie rods, and rotors/pads (again). the wobble is a sphincter workout. hubs seem ok as they were replaced when i installed the current rotors. but ill know for sure when checking runout.

Quick Reply: Front end violently shaking like its Death Wobble