Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Fuel Gauge Pegged Past Full

Search this Thread

Old August 11th, 2021, 11:55 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Gauge Pegged Past Full

1986 Chevy G30 Trans Van

My fuel gauge is pegged past full when the car is off or on. I've found the ground from the top of the tank to the body and drilled a new hole, cleaned all the metal, attached a new eyelet connector to the wire, and reattached and still nothing changed. I understand I may need to drop the tank to reach the sending unit and most of the wires on top. My question is, if the battery is disconnected, should the gauge still be reading full? If there is no power moving through the sending unit, and therefore no electrical resistance to be read despite the float being up, wouldn't there be nothing to read at the gauge? Could this indicate the gauge is the issue? I'll be honest, I'm doing what I can to avoid having to drop the tank haha. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old August 11th, 2021, 1:39 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Rage_NecroVancersVC
1986 Chevy G30 Trans Van

My fuel gauge is pegged past full when the car is off or on. I've found the ground from the top of the tank to the body and drilled a new hole, cleaned all the metal, attached a new eyelet connector to the wire, and reattached and still nothing changed. I understand I may need to drop the tank to reach the sending unit and most of the wires on top. My question is, if the battery is disconnected, should the gauge still be reading full? If there is no power moving through the sending unit, and therefore no electrical resistance to be read despite the float being up, wouldn't there be nothing to read at the gauge? Could this indicate the gauge is the issue? I'll be honest, I'm doing what I can to avoid having to drop the tank haha. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It been my own experience that the sender is the issue in 90 percent of these kinds of repairs. not the dash gauge. Yeah, dropping a fuel tank is never fun, but if you can get the gasoline out it's much easier, of course. That said it might be the gauge. There is always the 10 percent.fact.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; August 11th, 2021 at 1:41 PM.