Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

G20 Van need help

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2013, 9:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gmstores where?
Good sources for parts are:
rockauto.com
summitracing.com
amazon.com
lmctruck.com
They will all ship to Europe.
And ofcourse Ebay.

If you are going to change the timing chain I assume you are going to use a kit with chain and sprockets. It is a good idea to change the harmonic balancer at the same time as it is probably worn also.
Be aware that you need a special pulling tool to pull and install the harmonic balancer. (correct me if I am wrong)
Old May 11th, 2013, 5:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Atlejohnny
Gmstores where?
Good sources for parts are:
rockauto.com
summitracing.com
amazon.com
lmctruck.com
They will all ship to Europe.
And ofcourse Ebay.

If you are going to change the timing chain I assume you are going to use a kit with chain and sprockets. It is a good idea to change the harmonic balancer at the same time as it is probably worn also.
Be aware that you need a special pulling tool to pull and install the harmonic balancer. (correct me if I am wrong)
Gmstores in the US, I even put the Vin nr but they don't have all parts and I would prefer buy all parts to the same seller otherwise shipment is too expensive.
Summit is more for racing and search for stock parts. Then I took a look but they don't have all.
Rockauto has all but the problem is that tey don't give enough inforation. or example if I go in Chevrolet > 1994 > G20 > 5.7L V8 > Engine > Harmonic Balancer I find 4 balaner from $29.08 t $109.12 but which is te right one? The same for the water pump and other parts.
Some years ago I ordered a transmission automatric filter but it do not fit in it. I can't risk to buy parts that are wrong because then I can't resend them back.
Do someone of you have all OEM codes parts nr/?
I have the owner manual but I find only codes for air, oil and fuel filters and for spark plugs but not for the rest.
Is there maybe some sources on the web for find these codes?

Thanks
Old May 12th, 2013, 6:51 AM
CF Beginner

The Dorman 594002 is the stock version. This is also the only of these which refers to an original number #6272222
If you go to gmpartsgiant.com and put in the data for your car they will list **72222 as the original number, now you have a cross-referance, then you can be pretty sure that it will fit.

The other Dorman versions are for upgraded engines.

For transmission filter you need to know which model transmission you have.
Old May 13th, 2013, 12:18 PM
CF Beginner

The Dorman 594002 is the stock version. This is also the only of these which refers to an original number #6272222
If you go to gmpartsgiant.com and put in the data for your car they will list **72222 as the original number, now you have a cross-referance, then you can be pretty sure that it will fit.

The other Dorman versions are for upgraded engines.

For transmission filter you need to know which model transmission you have.
Thanks Atlejohnny at least now I know which is the right balancer. I tried to identify the number of the water pump but I don't find the correspondence.
Here is the list of what I want change Do you maybe have codes for parts like fuel pump, water pump, time chain with seal, automatic transmission filter and his gasket, belt tensioner, tie rod end (inner & outer), pitman arm, idler arm, brake shoe, wheel cylinder radiator hose (lower & upper), radiator cap.
I beg pardon for the long list ...

After 220.000 km do you suggest change the fuel pump?
Old May 14th, 2013, 6:00 AM
CF Beginner

I need the VIN number and the model of the gearbox. I thing there should be a tag on the gearbox which states the type.
Old May 14th, 2013, 8:19 AM
CF Beginner

I need the VIN number and the model of the gearbox. I thing there should be a tag on the gearbox which states the type.
The model is CHEVY VAN 1994 Van Starcraft SE Series V8 350 c.i.d. VIN number: 1 G B E G 2 5 K 0 R F 1 3 7 4 9 3.
About the model of the gearbox I can't check now. Is it write in a label and where?
If you go on the thread of pictures you can see my Van
Old May 14th, 2013, 12:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What about emailing that vin and the option codes off the decal to gm? Maybe they can help.
Old May 14th, 2013, 2:20 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by canucklehead
What about emailing that vin and the option codes off the decal to gm? Maybe they can help.
I don't believe it's a good idea because GM is too big and not a single person or a little factory. I come on this forum for ask advices to other enthusiasts and share my passion for Vans