Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Help with a dream project

Search this Thread

Old November 4th, 2016, 7:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Help with a dream project

Hello everyone!

This is my first post, and I joined to ask the following:

I recently acquired the capacity to finance the automobile of my dreams (all that schooling finally paid off!), and I actually wanted to create the vehicle of my dreams:

I have always dreamt of creating a bonafide racing van, and as a child I absolutely revered the styling of the first gen Express, particularly the conversion series. As a kid, I thought vans were cool, and as an adult the magic hasn't really left.
This build I would like to achieve would require a few things, though, and I understand that they seem to fly in the face of what this van actually is, but bear in mind this project is more about creating something crazy rather than going for practicality.

As such, I would need to:

Convert it to a standard 6-speed gearbox
Dramatically increase power from the block (be it super or turbocharged)
Dramatically decrease weight
Maintain the general look of the van from without (no body kits, keep the conversion style)
Upgrade the suspension entirely (more track day oriented)
Upgrade drivetrain support systems (cooling, lubrication, mounts, etc.)
Upgrade tires, wheels, brakes

Now, main question is about the increase of power and mating a standard transmission to the 5.7 engine common in these vans.

How viable is supercharging this engine? Turbocharging?
What transmissions could be fitted? Has this been done before?

Thanks!