Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Highway Wallowing with 2017 Express

Search this Thread

Old July 2nd, 2018, 7:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I can say that Ron (Teammuir1) doesn't carry much weight. He hauls large R/C model aircraft. I can also say that both his and mine are the 3500 long wheelbase. I can't say what his cargo (no windows) van weighs, but mine, with windows EMPTY is 6400 pounds. Loaded or not, they're not all that light. I don't regularly carry weight, but one time I was most likely over weight carrying flagstone. My GVRW is 9600. It was solid and stable.
Old July 3rd, 2018, 12:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Perhaps that is partly the cause. The greater the chassis weight capacity, the more jacked up the rear is. Without weight to compress the rear suspension, you are riding on the ends of the longest leaf springs. There is more room for suspension travel. On a 1/2 ton or lower gvw 3/4 ton, you would be more engaged on the springs...
My 2002 3/4 ton express was rock solid all the time, but i always had a couple hundred pounds of tools and or supplies in it.
Just throwing that idea out there.....
Old July 4th, 2018, 9:09 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

17 Express 2.8 Diesel

Sorry for the time delay... I work alot in the Summer time.. and dont find much time to
share on the forums as much as I like too.... I did how ever fix my problem on my van this
morning and that is why I am on here.. to report back to you guys....
STAN called it out right ... he knows me well to speak for me and I trust his words whole
heartedly .
I do not have heavy payloads.. but the main reason for me having a 3500 was the TOW
capacity.. I tow trailers alot .. My biggest is 24 ft and the one I have been towing around of
late ( When my van was running correctly ) lol has been a little 16ft r
U mentioned an accident... on towing a trailer... ( from your description) the trailer was
what I call WAGGLING.. ( back and forth back and forth.. ) at a certain speed...
YOUR SHOCK .. my friend did not cause that accident.. but I am sure it didnt help the
handling of your VAN either... I have towed many many things.. for a long time...
I can share a story ... were I almost FLIPPED the truck I was in and the TRUCK on the
trailer I was towing... because of just what you described.. lucky and I say VERY lucky
for me.. i didnt... but it too was WAGGLING... and It was hard to get it to stop.....
that is a sole problem of not enough TONGUE WEIGHT... the center of the trailer
that your towing is off... it waggles at a certain speed or if a semi truck passes you....
OK.... off toppic.... I will be willing to bet you change out the shocks you will
be HAPPY HAPPY again...
Old May 1st, 2019, 10:38 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Put in the new Ridetech shocks

HUGE IMPROVEMENT!!! No more wallowing and bouncing up and down on the highway, less body roll and more stability on turns with our regular load of about 2500 lbs of cargo.. One of the rear shocks was already leaking. I suspect the vehicle is substancially safer to drive in emergency situations. It was so bad above 65 on the highway I really didn't feel safe driving it any faster.

The shocks I installed are here for a great price ( I think they are normally between $100.00 and $180.00 per shock).

https://www.ebay.com/p/2015-GMC-Sava...3845847&chn=ps

Also, I spoke to Ridetech directly and they are quite helpful.

Also completed my other upgrade....Dot approved reflector headlamps to replace the very dim rectangular sealed beams. Put them in with the midgrade Flux beam LED bulbs and now we can actually see where we are going. I bought the Vison-x headlight housings, but the Hella also look quite good. If you really want incredibly good headlights look at the JW Speaker models Pricey but unbelieveable optics and light output both in high and low beams and they are all LED.
Old May 2nd, 2019, 9:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Good to hear you've fixed that issue. I love my Ridetech's. I had switched over because the stock ones were so stiff. Smoothed out a lot.

I don't have the sealed beams, but I've thought about going LED.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 3:22 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cool

Glad you got it squared away before things got ugly. Thanks for all the info and updates!