Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

How to Open Left Rear Door

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2015, 2:44 PM
CF Active Member

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default How to Open Left Rear Door

Something broke on the inside of the latch on my left rear door on my 2001 Chevrolet Express 1500 van. Does anyone know how to open the door when the latch does not work?
Old September 1st, 2015, 4:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You have to pry open the panel which is hard with the door closed. Once its open enough you can get your hand in there feel for a metal rod. Pull up on it.
That will open the door.
once open remove the panel all the way. you will find that the metal rod has a small knurl on the end that a washer fits over. That keeps it connected to the latch on the door jamb. You will have to find the washer in the bottom of the inside of the door, re-attach the rod to the door latch and then press the washer back on and finally hammer on the end of the rod to make it so the washer cannot come off again.
I did most of this on the workbench as I took the door latch right off the van.
Once you get in there you will see what I am talking about.....lol.
Old September 4th, 2015, 7:13 AM
CF Active Member

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for your information. You gave me the confidence to try the repair myself instead of taking it in to my dealer. I had to remove the plastic trim along the rear top of the headliner, then I had no trouble prying open the door trim panel from the top enough to get my hand in, like you said. Once I got my hand in, I was able to release the metal rods and open the door. Like your instructions, I removed the door latch handle and did the hammering to re-rivet the washer back on. Works like a charm now!!!

Originally Posted by canucklehead
You have to pry open the panel which is hard with the door closed. Once its open enough you can get your hand in there feel for a metal rod. Pull up on it.
That will open the door.
once open remove the panel all the way. you will find that the metal rod has a small knurl on the end that a washer fits over. That keeps it connected to the latch on the door jamb. You will have to find the washer in the bottom of the inside of the door, re-attach the rod to the door latch and then press the washer back on and finally hammer on the end of the rod to make it so the washer cannot come off again.
I did most of this on the workbench as I took the door latch right off the van.
Once you get in there you will see what I am talking about.....lol.