Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

I am looking for some help rebuilding my 88 g20

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2016, 12:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am looking for some help rebuilding my 88 g20

Hello Chevy lovers ! I just picked up an 88 Chevy g20 van. It needed a new head gasket . So I tore it all down, and I didn't take enough pictures/ video prior to disassembly.

my manual I bought for the van is just a standard Chevy 350 build manual and is not specific to the bracket and other things specific to the g 20.

I went to look at my friends g 30 and it's very different underneath. I'm having trouble figuring out how to re assemble my alternator and other things on the front end of the engine.

Is there a book with more detail then the Haynes g series manual ? I work on boats, but compared to the van, there is 1/12 of the amount of hardware. I am very overwhelmed.

Thanks .
Old April 7th, 2016, 1:01 AM
CF Beginner

I need to get her rebuilt by summer time, I know I can do it, but I broke a couple of plastic pieces in the process and would just like to know if there is a more specific rebuild manual for the g20 Chevy 350 that does install instructions with a little more detail specific to the g20.
The Haynes manual is not very good and doesn't mention the placement or installation of alternator and other components on the front end of the engine off of the bracket that is specific to the g20.

Help me get her fixed up ! I just need maybe a 3 minute video going around the engine compartment to see where things go .
Old April 10th, 2016, 8:29 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I got my 84, it was modified. Ended up going to a couple of scrap yards to find one near complete to get mine back to original.
Old May 4th, 2016, 11:09 AM
CF Junior Member

Go to a pull your own parts yard find a similar van and take lots of pictures.