Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Inner tire wear and death wobble Chevy g20

Search this Thread

Old April 6th, 2023, 5:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inner tire wear and death wobble Chevy g20

Hey everybody! I have a 1988 Chevy g20. For the last year year or so I have had really bad death wobble going slightly down hill at about 35mph, it doesn’t happen at any other times. I also have had inner tire wear on both front tires and the drivers side rear tire. I have replaced a large amount of front end suspension and steering parts, and none of this has changed anything. Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you.
Old April 6th, 2023, 5:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by Milo Duffy
really bad death wobble
where do you feel it? In the steering wheel?

Originally Posted by Milo Duffy
I have replaced a large amount of front end suspension and steering parts
such as?

Did you have the alignment checked AFTER all the parts were replaced? Is the frame bent, or was the vehicle ever in a wreck? Checked for play in all four bearings? Sprint mounts are all tight?
Old April 6th, 2023, 6:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I mostly feel it in the steering wheel, I do feel a slight pulse in the brake peddle. I replaced the pads and calipers and resurfaced the rotors, maybe I need to replace the whole rotors.

as for the parts I’ve replaced. I’ve replaced the idler and pitman arm, tie rods ends, front wheel bearings, and upper control arms, that’s all I remember right now. I did have everything aligned after I replaced the parts.

as far as I know the vehicle has never been in a wreck. I got the van with 50,000 original miles.
Old April 6th, 2023, 8:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

you still might have play in the lower control arm bushings or lower ball joints.

Uneven wear on the rear tire indicates something going on back there too. On a 35yo vehicle I wouldn't be shocked to see things just rusting and falling apart. Inspect thoroughly.
Old April 6th, 2023, 8:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

tire wear is to wear most likely from incorrect toe alignment. Either it was worn into the tires from before the repairs or if it wasn't there b4...the toe was set wrong on the alignment.