Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

To insulate or not to insulate? That's my question.

Search this Thread

Old March 11th, 2015, 9:29 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Question To insulate or not to insulate? That's my question.

Hi all,

I live in a very damp part of the world, it rarely gets near -10c or to 35c. At first, before buying my van I was wanting to insulate. I thought of spray foaming it, I've though of encasing fibreglass inside poly and I've thought of glueing styrofoam sheets in with foam insulation.

I know moisture is a problem when vans are insulated, there's a lot of moisture where I am. I've heard even spray foam traps it in creating the opportunity for premature rust. Yesterday I was speaking with a guy who drives a foamed company van. He says in the winter the foam traps the cold in and in the summer it traps the heat in.

I'd like to hear each one of your opinions. I'm starting to lean on no insulation as although unpleasant, my tools and materials can handle the cold. I don't like seeing the frosted rib cage in the winter but, it's simpler, no moisture or heat problems.

So what are your opinions?
Old March 15th, 2015, 6:19 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take the cash from insulation and have a remote start installed !! Run the AC in the summer and Heater in winter
Old March 16th, 2015, 9:46 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rigid foams are likely to squeak. Fiberglass will fall down. I used sponge foam sheets and contact cement. It'll help cut down on noise as well. Not the best insulators but good enough.
Old March 16th, 2015, 1:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mineral wool home insulation is the best, or a synthetic fibre carpet underlay. They wont take on moisture, and they wont squeak. Spray glue will hold the underlay in place until you get up your plywood.
Old March 19th, 2015, 7:50 PM
CF Beginner

Insulate mine express with wool a week ago, no affect MPG )
Old April 9th, 2015, 8:42 PM
CF Beginner

I'm a HERS rater by profession. what climate zone are you in? Sounds like extruded polystyrene (blue foam board) would probably do the job, seeing as its a very moisture permeable material- but I agree with douge that it will more than likely squeak like crazy. An open cell spray foam will for sure do the job, but I bet it would be 500$ to get a van done. Whatever you do, I would stay away from expanded polystyrene (white cooler foam) and paper faced insulation batts.
Old April 9th, 2015, 9:55 PM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by darkgoatracer
I'm a HERS rater by profession. what climate zone are you in? Sounds like extruded polystyrene (blue foam board) would probably do the job, seeing as its a very moisture permeable material- but I agree with douge that it will more than likely squeak like crazy. An open cell spray foam will for sure do the job, but I bet it would be 500$ to get a van done. Whatever you do, I would stay away from expanded polystyrene (white cooler foam) and paper faced insulation batts.

I forget what climate zone I am in and too lazy to look it up. Just think of where I am as Seattle, Washington. Close enough.

Just over 20 years ago I tried insulating a van with both pink and white insulation. It was a squeaky mess. That's why I was thinking if the sheets where glued in with those canned spray foam the problem would be solved. A part of me though doesn't want to do anything permanent. I can't really decide. This thread somewhat made me conclude I don't really need insulation for temperature, but it did make me aware that I may need it for sound if I sheet the inside with thin plywood.

Honestly I can't decide what to do. Wool, foam or nothing.
Old April 10th, 2015, 1:54 AM
CF Veteran

Roxul.
Old April 11th, 2015, 9:59 PM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by canucklehead
Roxul.
Perfect, because actually I really like this idea. I am aware that water will bead and roll off Roxul, but I would like some assurance that it will not trap moisture/water causing rust. Roxul right up tight to the outside wall?

I'd just have to locate thin batts as all the Roxul I've ever seen is 3.5" or bigger.
Old April 12th, 2015, 1:54 AM
CF Veteran

If you are worried about condensation, then make sure the wall spaces can breath into the van interior, like the factory interior of a passenger unit. Look for steel stud insulation it is thinner.....

Quick Reply: To insulate or not to insulate? That's my question.