Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Intermittent Starting/running issue w/ 2001

Search this Thread

Old October 15th, 2009, 2:19 PM
Professional Mechanic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chillin014
I still haven't fixed the problem and haven't been driving the van either for the past few months. The van will no longer start, I have tried for the past few days with no luck.
I'm going to drop the cat converter tomorrow and check it out.

I'm getting desperate, we will need to use the van in the near future. I'm worried the ECM has shorted out or something due to the power steering leak, but I don't know how to check it.
What's it doing now when you try to start it? Does it just crank, not crank at all, or...
Old October 16th, 2009, 8:30 AM
CF Junior Member

Sorry, it cranks just like before, perfectly fine. I found out there are actually 2 cats so I'd have to disconnect the exhaust at the headers, I'll probably be able to get to it today.
I was turning the distributor both directions while cranking and the cranking sped up with the advance, but no luck on starting. I think the ignition system may be working fine.

And since I'm also sure that the fuel pump is working fine due to previous pressure tests...maybe the injectors are not spraying? I smell fuel occasionally during the cranking.

What are the chances that the ECM is bad? I may go buy one and return it if it doesn't fix the problem.
Old October 16th, 2009, 5:24 PM
CF Junior Member

I replaced the Cam sensor and the van started right up. It did the same thing when I replaced the crank sensor and then the problem continued. So I will report back if the problem reoccurs.
I bought some "ALLDATA" vehicle diagnostic/repair database thing and its given me a few more ideas so far such as the Engine Coolant Temp sensor and etc. as well as values and specifications for testing electrics.
Old October 26th, 2009, 5:55 PM
CF Beginner

I'm having the same problems,the one thing I noticed is the fuel guage is reading way above full when it won't start & yesterday,it started & when I first turned the key on the fuel guage worked ok get in it today & it won't start & the guage is overfull again??
Old October 27th, 2009, 8:18 AM
CF Junior Member

I'm not sure of the wiring on the gauge. I get the impression that the fuel gauge isn't tied in with any of the engine control stuff but I could be wrong.

My new cam sensor seems to have done the trick. If you are having a problem like me I definitely would recommend replacing the cheap sensors. Rockauto.com has some good prices if your local auto store seems like a rip.

I replaced the crank sensor + harness, and the cam sensor. So aside from the fuel pressure gauge, I only spent maybe 50 bucks trouble shooting.

I will look in my Alldata thing about that fuel gauge being high.
Old October 27th, 2009, 8:28 AM
CF Junior Member

sorry. bad link.

Last edited by Chillin014; October 30th, 2009 at 1:14 PM.
Old October 30th, 2009, 1:16 PM
CF Junior Member

It is with great disappointment that I am here to report that the cam sensor did NOT solve my starting problem. I find it ironic that immediately following the replacement of these items the van will start right up...but then go back to its old ways a few days later.

I figure with the amount of things I've checked and replaced there isn't really too many more things before I figure it out. I will be buying a new coolant temp sensor today and we'll see what happens.
Old October 30th, 2009, 6:17 PM
CF Junior Member

just finished replacing the ECTS with no change in behavior. I had the hood open after cranking for a few seconds and saw smoke coming out of the intake due to the backfiring during the attempted starting.
Old November 1st, 2009, 3:53 AM
CF Beginner

You must have a short somewhere like mine does.
Well mine started & I drove it to 2 different places shut it off & restarted it no problems,then on the way home when I hit a bump it dies for maybe 5 seconds then took off again.Go out the next morning to drive to work & no start again.
Old November 1st, 2009, 8:00 AM
CF Junior Member

god I hope not. I don't know how to track down a short. I got it to start yesterday and jiggled around all the wiring harnesses without any change in the way it was running.

It seems like if I sit there and crank it the motor gets flooded. Yesterday I let off the key very shortly after the cranking begun and it choked to life on its own. I also learned that the term I was looking for when it was running after failed starting attempts is called "dieseling". My manual points to EVAP or fuel injectors.

regardless, i am going to check the ohms of the fuel injectors next chance I get. Can anyone confirm if these vehicle have an external EGR valve? My manual shows one but I couldnt find it.

Last edited by Chillin014; November 1st, 2009 at 8:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Starting/running issue w/ 2001