Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Le Moose

Search this Thread

Old October 17th, 2017, 7:55 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking Great !!
Thank you
Kenny
Old October 28th, 2017, 3:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Getting around this past week has been difficult, due to my arthritic hip, but now that it has subsided, I'm able to get in to the van and take some pics. It's difficult to get the right angles for some of these, and had lighting issues on others, but.... I had some aluminum flashing laying around and it made a good mount for my phone block, I thought I'd try it on the tablet all by itself.. First is a better pic of the phone mount. I had this in my Astro, on a much stiffer piece of steel, snaked around the dash panel and screwed in under it. But the difference in construction of the Express dash lends itself to the flashing idea, and the dash carpet hides the entry point. The flashing for the tablet slides in on the bottom of the radio hole, and electrical tape makes it blend in. Time will tell how well the tape holds up to summer heat. The tablet now hides the unused OnStar panel. The mascot will no longer be able to activate it (he is such a smart ***). The first pic of the tablet is the first draft of the idea, but it's the best lighted shot I had. It looks real cool at night, but I have yet to get just the right shot.
Attached Thumbnails Le Moose-dsc01362.jpg   Le Moose-dsc01346.jpg   Le Moose-dsc01360.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
jjamez (October 31st, 2019)
Old October 28th, 2017, 4:31 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Stan that looks good... and I see your telemetry... is working as well....
LOOKIN GOOD...

I have a story for you ... MY Tablet holder well it says its delivered...
IN MARYLAND... and Some smucks back door..... LMAO...
I swear I was on the phone and computer for over an hour trying to
get this crap resolved.. its not easy.. on a weekend.
I will show pics of mine once I get it in...
Yours is looking GOOD....
Old October 28th, 2017, 4:54 PM
CF Veteran

Well, I'm still having that weird "service traction control" thing happening. I tried my son's ELM (similar price and age) and it does it as well. It doesn't do it if Torque is communicating with it, so I may just live with it.
Old October 28th, 2017, 5:24 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking great !

Thank you
Kenny
Old October 29th, 2017, 10:04 AM
CF Active Member

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I am enjoying your posts. Keep showing us your modifications. I am looking forward to them so I can incorporate the ones I like into my older 2001 van.
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/exp...ion-van-72308/
Old October 29th, 2017, 11:39 AM
CF Veteran

I had seen your thread, Mike, and I am thinking of an idea or two I'd steal from you. Although I'm not as hard core of a camper as you seem to be. I get away 2 or 3 weekends a year, and Da Wife doesn't camp anymore. But I see we are in agreement as far as leaving less holes in the vehicle.

The next big task is to cut the bed down 2 or 3 inches. I found the lack of head room disappointing. I need to do this before I get to making the drawers.And I need to do it soon, as it will be handy to have the bed out for a while, as I need to move something large.
Old October 30th, 2017, 7:58 AM
CF Active Member

I hear you about the headroom issue. I find it a little lacking in mine too, but my wife likes all the storage space underneath with two rows of shelves giving her 24 (16 one foot x one foot and 8 one foot x 1/2 foot) Shopko fabric boxes to store all kinds of stuff in. And I like having the back half of the bed for my "basement" storage, so I don't think I will be lowering mine anytime soon. When we go on our long trips out of state the extra space does come in handy. My wife loves camping in it compared to our old Blazer because it has so much more space.
Old October 30th, 2017, 8:22 AM
CF Veteran

I'm not even sure how two were camping in a K Blazer. But.... I stretch out.

The other reason I won't do too much conversion is that this is my daily driver. I don't work, but Da Wife still does, so these days, my job is "house husband", and I do a bit of running around town.
Old October 30th, 2017, 8:53 AM
CF Active Member

There was enough room because I am only 5' 7" and my wife is shorter and we were younger, plus we carried a lot of camping gear in the rooftop box I made and the boxes on the tray on the hitch. I was like you for two years, retired house husband while my wife worked for two years teaching Kindergarten. Now that she is retired we spend much more time in the van camping. I like your phone and tablet holder, I may have to do something like that with mine and get the OBD-II connector. I, sort of, have a similarity with you -- I was stationed in Norfolk, VA in the '70's in the Navy and I have a similarity with Teammuir1 because my son lives in KY and I get there often to visit.

Last edited by Black'95; October 30th, 2017 at 8:55 AM.