Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Looking at possibly getting new to me Express

Search this Thread

Old December 11th, 2019, 11:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Beau Oszman
You're looking at something around '05, right? Don't think you'll be looking at the same transmission (4L60E), so any upgrades during a reman would probably be slightly different. The planetary gear and the clutches are the major parts they change out with the older models. If a service record exists with the current owner you may be able to track down the service shop and inquire there. I would expect a service record with a fleet vehicle, at the very least some sort of PM schedule.
I agree with there being at least a little something, but when I buy a "new" used car I always assume I have nothing to go off of and that the service history starts with me type thing. and yes I was looking at a 2005 Van 2500 series

here are the stats on the van I am considering
Year: 2005

Make: Chevrolet

Model: Express

Trim: 2500 Cargo

Mileage: 118,777

Trans: Select

Vin: 1GCGG25V451226800

Stock #: 13596

Engine: 4.8L V8 OHV 16V

Interior: Vinyl

Color: White

Drive Train: RWD

Type: Cargo Van

State: NY

https://www.curmsonsauto.com/vdp/136...-York-NY-11377

Last edited by Jim74656; December 11th, 2019 at 11:58 AM.
Old December 11th, 2019, 1:00 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very possible you'll be starting from scratch on record keeping. Mechanically that's a different generation and only the structural stuff (general repair, brakes, suspension, cooling) are going to be similar. Ron6915 is in your generation and would have more relevant info for you. Maybe some more info regarding what his rebuilds costed and if they had any reman options available. How many miles between? Sorry I can't be of much more help than that.
Old December 11th, 2019, 3:41 PM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim74656
as far as some of these I don't think I will have too much issue (though some of them look to be a two person type job or at least an extra pair of hands would be a good to have situation) for me, I have replaced blower motors and resisters before, however the only thing I haven't really messed with is the intake gaskets, but I would suspect they are easy enough? same for water pumps, how bad are those and are there any signs I can use to see if the pump is beginning to fail on the van I am considering?

as for the hinges, this van has a rear sliding door and the normal barn doors in the back.
Classic water pump symptom would be water leaking under the front of the engine, behind the radiator.
All of the jobs listed I did myself. Transmission required a transmission jack. The first transmission to go was in 2008 and the mechanic did that. Van had 56K miles on it. I was still actively working and needed the van back quickly. The last transmission went in the Fall of 2018. It had 104K miles. I replaced that. I wasn't thrilled at having to crawl about under the van at 69. but I was retired and had time. I will tell you I am not a fan of the 4L60E transmission. When the first transmission went, my mechanic said the transmission in my van was the same transmission they put into the mini vans. Only the 350 series had the more heavy duty 4L80E unit.
I did the injector module before I did the lower intake gasket. If I would have known the lower intake gasket was a problem area, I would have done both at the same time. Pain in the behind to remove all the stuff from the top of the engine. You know that gasket is leaking when you keep having to add coolant to the overflow. Mine started as a small leak that ran along the top of the block but never dropped to the ground. I guess it would evaporate as it leaked out. It was only when the leak got worse did I see it on the ground. Took about 2 years or more.
Current issue are the brakes. I'm looking for a scanner that can bleed the ABS module. You can't bleed the brakes the old fashioned way until you have a bi- directional scanner that can actuate the module to purge the air out of it. Probably looking at least an $800.00 dollar unit, maybe more.
Good luck with your van.
Old December 11th, 2019, 10:45 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Ron6519
Classic water pump symptom would be water leaking under the front of the engine, behind the radiator.
All of the jobs listed I did myself. Transmission required a transmission jack. The first transmission to go was in 2008 and the mechanic did that. Van had 56K miles on it. I was still actively working and needed the van back quickly. The last transmission went in the Fall of 2018. It had 104K miles. I replaced that. I wasn't thrilled at having to crawl about under the van at 69. but I was retired and had time. I will tell you I am not a fan of the 4L60E transmission. When the first transmission went, my mechanic said the transmission in my van was the same transmission they put into the mini vans. Only the 350 series had the more heavy duty 4L80E unit.
I did the injector module before I did the lower intake gasket. If I would have known the lower intake gasket was a problem area, I would have done both at the same time. Pain in the behind to remove all the stuff from the top of the engine. You know that gasket is leaking when you keep having to add coolant to the overflow. Mine started as a small leak that ran along the top of the block but never dropped to the ground. I guess it would evaporate as it leaked out. It was only when the leak got worse did I see it on the ground. Took about 2 years or more.
Current issue are the brakes. I'm looking for a scanner that can bleed the ABS module. You can't bleed the brakes the old fashioned way until you have a bi- directional scanner that can actuate the module to purge the air out of it. Probably looking at least an $800.00 dollar unit, maybe more.
Good luck with your van.
Ron, I noticed your in the Longisland NY area, which is where the van in question happens to be, it was owned by the Town of Bedford (not sure what it was used for however) so that makes me feel at least some what comfortable as the government agencies generally (not all) will keep the vehicles in locked storage garages/maintenance buildings,and generally will be more likely to ensure things are kept in working order (I mean it is tax payer money at work I guess?).

The van is a 2500 series, is it possible to take the 4L60E (not really a fan of that trans either) and replace it with the 4L80E? it has the 4.8L engine in it so not sure if that will be an issue?

on a side note I don't suppose you could take a look at the van with me and we meet up one day to look it over to ensure I don't miss something you might have more knowledge on? I am good with working on cars and know the common things but some of the more Chevy specific things I am sure I could miss....
Old December 11th, 2019, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 625 Likes on 566 Posts

owned by the Town of Bedford ... government agencies generally (not all) will keep the vehicles in locked storage garages/maintenance buildings,and generally will be more likely to ensure things are kept in working order (I mean it is tax payer money at work I guess?).
It's a van so most likely used in some service function. Here, fleets of these vehicles are parked outdoors in a large works yards. Fleet maintenance will be the bare minimum to keep it running because when it's no longer economical to maintain one, it is written off as business expense and a replacement is leased. Employees who drive them will ... well I'm sure you know how people treat things that don't belong to them.

The van is a 2500 series, is it possible to take the 4L60E (not really a fan of that trans either) and replace it with the 4L80E? it has the 4.8L engine in it so not sure if that will be an issue?
I doubt they would mate up. But there's nothing wrong with the 4L60E. It is a reliable transmission based on a time proven design (GM was first with the hydramatic in the 30's and tested on military transport) . I've owned several (up to 200,000 hard working miles and not even close to worn out) and I believe that they are workhorses if looked after. Because they are so common, service and replacement is easy. It will work just fine especially behind a 4.8L which is well under its HP rating.

my mechanic said the transmission in my van was the same transmission they put into the mini vans.
He probably meant the Astro, which is a 1/2 ton capacity vehicle with 4.3L engine. Not your typical soccer mom minivan. Also consider GM put the 4L60E behind 5.7L V8s in trucks and vans.

I know the 4.8s are the gutless wonders (easy fix with a regear in the axle)
which means you either have to rev higher (and wear everything out quicker), or you'll have to crawl up hills or with loads slower. Highway economy will suffer as well. I would keep looking for a better one. There shouldn't be any shortage of used Express vans for sale.
Old December 12th, 2019, 9:49 AM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ron, I noticed your in the Longisland NY area, which is where the van in question happens to be, it was owned by the Town of Bedford (not sure what it was used for however) so that makes me feel at least some what comfortable as the government agencies generally (not all) will keep the vehicles in locked storage garages/maintenance buildings,and generally will be more likely to ensure things are kept in working order (I mean it is tax payer money at work I guess?).

on a side note I don't suppose you could take a look at the van with me and we meet up one day to look it over to ensure I don't miss something you might have more knowledge on? I am good with working on cars and know the common things but some of the more Chevy specific things I am sure I could miss....
Bedford is in Westchester County, about 1- 1 1/2 hours from me depending upon traffic. You want a mechanic to look at the van, not a retired contractor. Someone with the tools to check out the engine and transmission.
I wouldn't expect this van to be kept inside and government(s) in general don't give a crap about worrying about how your tax dollars are spent.
Old December 12th, 2019, 10:18 AM
CF Beginner

Bedford is in Westchester County, about 1- 1 1/2 hours from me depending upon traffic. You want a mechanic to look at the van, not a retired contractor. Someone with the tools to check out the engine and transmission.
I wouldn't expect this van to be kept inside and government(s) in general don't give a crap about worrying about how your tax dollars are spent.
I tend to agree with you on that part, but Bedford being a smaller town (and generally smaller towns like the one I originally come from) tend to try and take care of there things as they have smaller budgets to work with and have to be more reliant on what they have and keep costs lower any place they can....but I agree.....either way I am not afraid of working on vehicles so if it needs some minor work like plugs and coils I could do that. don't worry I plan to take my code reader (shop grade tool) but I figured you have a ton more knowledge then I do with these vans and might be able to catch something that I miss or that a normal mechanic might not care to mention....
Old January 6th, 2020, 11:10 PM
CF Beginner

did these vans (2005+) ever come with any Navigation/gps systems from the factory or am I going to have to look for something aftermarket?

Last edited by Jim74656; January 6th, 2020 at 11:50 PM.
Old January 6th, 2020, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 625 Likes on 566 Posts

isn't the internet great

Old January 6th, 2020, 11:52 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
isn't the internet great

i have been searching, but I also edited the question, I know the 08+ can (or have) had them, but I mean more along the lines of the 02-07 vans (I know those have some funky 3 screw hold down bracket so I am trying to preplan my purchase of the correct bracket as I had a radio that I plan to install

Quick Reply: Looking at possibly getting new to me Express