Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Low Beam Headlights and Instrument Cluster Quit Working

Search this Thread

Old August 4th, 2021, 5:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Low Beam Headlights and Instrument Cluster Quit Working

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Last February, I left a store at night, flipped my headlights on, and got nothing. No headlights, and my instrument cluster went black. The high beams work but don't stay on, I'd have to hold the switch the whole time, but I'd blind everyone on the road and probably get a ticket. I actually haven't driven the van at night since.

Before I take it to a mechanic, do you think it's just a fuse or relay? If so which one? The headlight switch clicks fine, I've always been gentle with it.

It's a 2007 Express 1500

Edit: I did a little testing. Both relays work. If I pull the high beam relay out, and pull the high beam switch inside the van, then just low beams go on. With both relays in, high beams and low beams go on. I swapped relays too and got the same results, so I can rule out relays. The fuses must be alright too, since I can get electricity to both high and low beams. I can't think of anything other than the switch. A shop will charge a fortune to replace that. I could try to do it myself.

Edit again: It was the headlight switch assembly! The assembly is very dry rotted and coming apart. The contact wasn't being made with the circuit board. So I snapped two pieces together again, and everything works. I'm still going to buy another headlamp switch assembly, because this one doesn't stay together.

Last edited by lovevans; August 4th, 2021 at 7:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Uncle Rico (August 4th, 2021)
Old August 13th, 2021, 4:00 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

They sure don't make them like they used to.