Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Moving seats in a 15 passenger?

Search this Thread

Old June 20th, 2017, 8:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The nice thing for us now will just be the flexibility. Extra cargo space when needed and when it's not needed it can be passengers instead. Guessing for GM it's all about cost, easier and cheaper to make less variations. Now I would like to find a split 4 person bench. Most times I will leave it like it is, then if I need more seating I can throw in half the bench in the back which will give me 14 seating and still some cargo space.
Old June 23rd, 2017, 8:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice work! Clean and factory looking. I have an extended wheelbase but with factory 12 passenger seating. I have thought about the same thing. The rails are under the flooring near the rear doors, just need to be cut out.
Old June 23rd, 2017, 8:27 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you very much! All told it took about an hour. Once I get the plastic trim pieces for the floor it really will look factory.
Old July 25th, 2017, 10:23 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to dig up an old-ish thread, but I tried doing this with my 2014 15 passenger and I couldn't get the passenger side bench to fit. The hooks fit into the mounting points in the track but the bottom seat cushion was stuck on the wheel well so it wouldn't sit flush to get the 'L' shaped locks through the track and seat. I even took out the interior panels thinking it would help but it still didn't fit. While it was out I put in the poor man's dynamat and it helped with interior sound deadening immensely.

It looks like yours drop in with no issue or did you have to do anything else to get them to lock?
Old July 25th, 2017, 12:19 PM
CF Beginner

It's because the final row in a 12 passenger is slightly different than the final row in a 15 passenger. The seat brackets are offset just slightly. The final row of a 12 passenger would locate the seats a couple of inches closer to the driver side and therefore not rub in the spot that you are talking about. That being said it will still fit, it's just a pain in the *** to get locked down into position. I just had someone sitting on the seat and pushing down and that was enough to get it locked into place.
Old July 26th, 2017, 9:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I think this thread has shown that 12 or 15 passenger, there are multiple situations available for rear seating. I was out exploring my "new to me" 2016 15 passenger, and felt what I believe to be slots in front of the FRONT bench seat. I'm not even sure how that might work. My needs will have me removing the two back ones to make a bed with drawers out the back doors for tools and "stuff", so I won't be exploring these slots that deeply. I'd kinda like to know, though.
Old July 26th, 2017, 9:58 PM
CF Beginner

If you are removing them would you like to sell them? I need the split bench. Thanks!
Old July 27th, 2017, 1:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I answered you in your earlier thread, with the question; do the 12 and 15 passengers use the same seat? I believe you have the 12. I just assumed your lack of an answer meant that they weren't the same. I answered you on the day I brought her home.

My issues are all time related, if your interested in it. I'm in a position where I've sold my house and need to move. The last few weeks have been consumed by looking for a place to live. Moving will be time consuming as well, as I have a fairly intensive wood shop to move, and some of it hasn't moved since my Dad bought them, in the 1950s. I'm in the D.C. area, McLean VA.
Old July 27th, 2017, 2:13 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry I am not sure I saw it. I have been battling some serious internet issues and having to try and do a lot of it from my phone. I can use the split four person bench from a 12 passenger or a 15 passenger, either one it doesn't matter. Do you have the split four person bench?

Thanks!
Old March 21st, 2018, 1:06 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Chris Lieberman, Hopefully this thread hasn't completely died... I just recently stumbled upon it. We have been considering the purchase of a 2016-2017 Express 15 passenger van, and I'm excited to see that the 5th row seat rails extend forward to the 4th row. Can you confirm if the rails extend the full floor length, or at least to the 3rd row? There are times that we might need even more cargo space, so being able to move the 5th row seat to the 3rd row position (occasionally) would work perfect for my family.

BTW, I don't expect you to cut into your floor in the 3rd row, but i wonder if you can feel the rail (maybe locate with a strong magnet), or even lift up on the carpet to expose/see it.

I appreciate any info you can offer!

Quick Reply: Moving seats in a 15 passenger?