Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

My 2001 Camper Conversion Van

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2017, 7:38 AM
CF Active Member

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

The latest little addition to my camper van was a set of levels to let me know how level the camp pad is and where to use my leveling blocks. The front-to-back level was placed on the door.

The side-to-side level was placed on the flat region below my steering wheel. It does not interfere with the tilting feature of the steering wheel.

These levels are not a big deal addition but they sure help when I reach a campsite that is not completely level. Like I mentioned before, my van is basically done and now I am just making minor changes and improvements. They were both mounted with 3M body molding tape.
Old June 23rd, 2017, 9:52 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Black'95
I mounted the battery holder underneath on the frame of the van, then connected it in parallel to my main van starting battery with a relay on the positive side. The wire from the relay that energizes it was connected to a fuse that only got energy when the ignition was turned on. That way when the motor was running, the secondary battery was connected receiving power to charge it but when I turned off the ignition the secondary battery was isolated. I could use the secondary battery in the camper part of my van without fear of running down the starting battery.
Hope that helps explain it.
Can you give me info on the battery mount and relay? I would like to buy both.
Old June 24th, 2017, 5:19 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by JIMMYDRIVER1
Can you give me info on the battery mount and relay? I would like to buy both.
My battery holder was very similar to this one that I found on an internet search:
NEW LIGHTWEIGHT BATTERY BOX,11" WD.,BOLT-ON,RACING,DRAG | eBay

The relay was just an ordinary continuous duty relay that I got from NAPA.

I just did some further checking and I found that I got my battery box from Southwest Speed, 7423 Highway 271 South, Fort Smith, AR 72908
www.southwestspeed.com and it was part # 499-901 and it was called an adjustable battery box, small.

Last edited by Black'95; June 24th, 2017 at 5:44 PM. Reason: add new information
Old July 2nd, 2017, 8:45 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much. As soon as I find the parasitic drain on my battery I might take this project on. It would give me the option of taking my cpap when I go to the lake. Otherwise I get very little sleep.
Old July 29th, 2017, 2:35 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wanted to drain the radiater could'nt find the rad petcock is there one on the 5.7 vortec?

when I purchased my 02 express 1500 the side door inside door latch was missing
?1.is this door designed to be opened from the inside like the back?

?2.the whole piece is missing all I see inside the empty hole is rod that locks/unlocks the door I'm thinking there should be more stuff in there like another rod that opens door and some electrical wires for the power lock.

Thanks TB

Last edited by the Brain; July 29th, 2017 at 2:43 PM.
Old July 29th, 2017, 4:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm guessing that you set these levels in accordance with the floor and bed being level as a reference? I'm thinking of doing this when I start my build.
Old July 30th, 2017, 8:33 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by the Brain
I wanted to drain the radiater could'nt find the rad petcock is there one on the 5.7 vortec?

when I purchased my 02 express 1500 the side door inside door latch was missing
?1.is this door designed to be opened from the inside like the back?

?2.the whole piece is missing all I see inside the empty hole is rod that locks/unlocks the door I'm thinking there should be more stuff in there like another rod that opens door and some electrical wires for the power lock.

Thanks TB
I would think your 2002 is the same as my 2001. On mine the radiator drain is on the lower end on the driver's side. See attached copy of 2001 Service Manual.

Old July 31st, 2017, 7:23 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

excellent

next time I crawl under van I'll look on the side of rad, a mechanic told me my van didn't have a peatcock
Old September 25th, 2017, 7:26 PM
CF Active Member

I finally got around to adding a controller to my solar panels. The panels were mentioned back on this post:
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/exp...e6/#post329540

This is the controller I added to the back of the solar panel board. I like it because it also has USB charging ports for my USB devices.
Old November 6th, 2017, 4:15 PM
CF Active Member

It is time for another modification to my camper van. I ordered a Surco 103H hook over door ladder and installed it today. It is made for an even square door and my van's door slants down a little towards the tail lights, so I had to borrow a tube bender from my local hardware store and modify it just a little bit to get it to look vertically straight on the door. That wasn't too hard with the right tools. It feels very sturdy and I am looking forward to using it on camping trips.

As my wife says, my van is never finished. I am always looking for little ways to improve on it.

Quick Reply: My 2001 Camper Conversion Van