Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

No heat

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2022, 2:13 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
Default No heat

Looks like my thermostat is shot. It was about 0' F out Sunday morning and I had to drive about 45 miles down the highway and it never got very warm. Sometimes it would get colder on the gauge even. It only would come up to the first mark and then it might drop back a bit, then slowly return.

In the evening when it warmed up to a whole 25' F I got heat, but I took the back way home and you could feel it put out more heat when you accelerated from a stop. It wasn't hot heat either.

This is the '94 and the stat is way back because it's a 4.3 and sits back that much further than the V8s do. It's probably the original 1994 stat. The part is cheap and it's usually easy to change, but I want to wait until it's a little warmer as the last time I tried one of these bolts just twisted off. I may have to pull the doghouse for easier access to it.

Was thinking of cheating and tucking some cardboard behind the grille to block most of the radiator off until we get a warm spell. I don't drive that much most weeks and it will be the end of February before I have to go out of town again.