Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

NO SPARK. Please help

Search this Thread

Old September 10th, 2010, 9:16 PM
awc
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NO SPARK. Please help

Hello everyone! I'm new here so please excuse any errors etc. Looking for some much needed input because I'm about ready to pull my hair out......I have a 2003 Express with 4.8L V8 and I have no spark, this is what i've done so far.

Replaced Plugs and wires
Replaced Crankshaft Position Sensor
I was preparing to go get new Catalytic Converter the day it decided to not start.

She turns over but no fire(of course given no spark)

Can anyone suggest where the next step is??
The issue I have is getting it anywhere to get a code reader on it but thought I'd try to rule out some of the starting points etc........
I'm going crazy but any info would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.<SCRIPT language=javascript type=text/javascript>//<![CDATA[var ret = YAHOO.forumsSMOLinks.genlinks("all", "http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0fb7ac/67", document.title, "post");if (ret) { document.write(ret);}//]]></SCRIPT>
Old October 11th, 2010, 10:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark

I was having the same trouble. I went and bought a spark checker at Harbor Freight they probably have these at most auto parts stores. It plugs into a plug
wire like a spark plug and the other end plugs into the plug of the cylinder that you are checking.
So when you crank the motor the spark checker blinks when that cylinder is supposed to fire. No blink means no spark. Have the coil checked or buy a new one if there is still no spark.Check all connections as well
Old October 17th, 2010, 8:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

before you throw the kitchen sink at the car, did you check the ignition control module? No ICM, no spark. The ICM sends the signal to the coils to fire. If its out of order then you will never get a spark.