Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Oil consumption on the new 6.6L V8 ? Owner feedback please.

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2023, 6:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Deep dive: Gm's new 6.6l l8t v-8

https://www.raceenginesuppliers.com/...new-66l-l8t-v8
Read Complete answers a lot of Questions
The following 2 users liked this post by Rommelt:
RoadTrip (August 15th, 2023), Triaged (July 3rd, 2023)
Old July 27th, 2023, 3:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ry4n
I found one out of state and went and bought it. I’ll post back about oil usage. Alignment was off with only 4 miles on it when I drove off :/ Hoping just something minor.
@ry4n - any updates ry4n ? What engine does your van have ? And, any oil consumption ?
Old August 15th, 2023, 4:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KubiJ1AS
@ry4n - any updates ry4n ? What engine does your van have ? And, any oil consumption ?
@KubiJ1AS I got the 6.6L. I’ve only got 1k on it bc it took me forever to build some shelving. In about a month I’ll do an oil change and report any consumption.

I like it better than my 2013 4.8L. Loaded down with air conditioning equipment I barely feel the weight with the 6.6.
The following users liked this post:
Triaged (August 15th, 2023)
Old October 27th, 2023, 10:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Husband having issues with 2020 6.6 59,000 miles but happens 3 times now

Seems to be a big issue from what we have been researching. Not trying to buy a new vehicle with pricing and interest rate but out of warranty too soon. GM basically hung up on him saying they couldn’t help him.
Old October 30th, 2023, 3:09 PM
CF Beginner

Did my fist oil change on the 6.6 at 6300 miles. Drained out about 7.5 qts. Seems not too bad?

@KubiJ1AS
Old October 31st, 2023, 4:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did my fist oil change on the 6.6 at 6300 miles. Drained out about 7.5 qts. Seems not too bad?

@KubiJ1AS
7.5 qt out of an 8 qt stock fill during break-in is good and doesn't seem like excessive consumption at all. The only thing I'd say is waiting for 6300 to do your first change seems risky, all that break-in chaff. On new I typically do a 500, 1500 and 3000 mile change. But what's done is done and good luck on ownership.
Old October 31st, 2023, 4:14 PM
CF Beginner

@KubiJ1AS @ry4n Would either of you share dealer contacts you were able to order the van through? I'm hunting down a willing participant and coming up with nothing so far. Thanks.
Old October 31st, 2023, 5:38 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by pachuconj
@KubiJ1AS @ry4n Would either of you share dealer contacts you were able to order the van through? I'm hunting down a willing participant and coming up with nothing so far. Thanks.
I got it from Glen Sain in Kennett, Missouri, but they don’t keep a large stock, I just got lucky. I was phoning with dealers in my area for weeks, and one sales guy saw Sain had one in stock before it showed up on the GM websites. My advice is to get friendly with a fleet salesman (most normal lots know ****-all about vans and will just waste your time. My experience anyway.) The fleet guys can see what’s been ordered by other dealerships, and it’s possible to arrange a purchase before or as soon as it hits the lot.
Old October 31st, 2023, 6:12 PM
CF Beginner

I got it from Glen Sain in Kennett, Missouri
thanks for the feedback. I definitely agree with the fleet guys. My local ones I ask for the fleet/commercial sales rep. Skip the guy trying to sell me a Volt.
The following users liked this post:
ry4n (October 31st, 2023)
Old April 8th, 2024, 10:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 120,000kms and counting GMC 2500 6.6L

Originally Posted by KubiJ1AS
just put an order in to a fleet chevy dealer for a 2023 Express with a 6.6L V8.

This engine was introduced by GM io 2020, and I did some research on this engine and it seems that a lot of people are complaining that it burns oil.

I am just trying to find out if owners of this engine see oil burning issues with it in their vans, and how severe.
I am not about to buy a new van so that i can add 1qt of oil every 1000 miles...

What is the reliability of this vehicle if maintenance is kept up to date.

Any feedback highly appreciated.
I have had my 2022 GMC truck since new, I put on a fair amount of kms, so I am doing an oil change about every 2 months. I go by the computer, when it says I'm at 25% oil left I go in for a service. It didn't start to use oil until the last 20,000 kms. I had an oil change about a month ago and have had to put 1.5L of oil in it to keep it topped up, Incidentally my computer shows 40% oil left, so I will be heading in for another service in a week or two. You just have to be diligent on checking your oil between services, that's it. By the way, I am averaging about 14.7L/100kms since new.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Oil consumption on the new 6.6L V8 ? Owner feedback please.