Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Paint issues?

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2019, 1:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Registered today just for the paint issue

Vehicle is 2011 3500 12-pass. Spent all it's life in Dallas / ft worth area. I have always wash/wax etc. It is stored outside (1" too tall for the garage...) Paint is peeling off around door handles, below drip line, on hood. when it rains it gets big bubbles, looks like leprosy!

Poor paint prep! simple. Bah. Frustrating. Estimate from local paint shop $4k to strip & repaint.

BTW the 'rocks' story is absolute stinky BS. a rock causes an impact and local damage, not layers to start peeling off.
Old June 25th, 2019, 1:28 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have only noticed WHITE vans having this problem ,

is that because 90% of vans you see are WHITE ,
or something in the WHITE paint for the last 10-15 years that GM could not figure out !
Old June 26th, 2019, 1:21 AM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Plenty of other Chevy vans of many colors in my area of all ages. Only notice paint issues with the white myself.
Old June 27th, 2019, 12:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I've been told it's the primer.
Old June 27th, 2019, 9:45 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by StanVan
I don't get it. The only colors that seem to have an issue peeling off are white and certain colors of blue. And when I say a LONG time I am going back to 1989 when our company Chevrolet K-1500 which was white would peel off after a year or so on the hood and the top of the cab. Chevy really needs to solve this issue. I've had black, silver and green Chevy painted vehicles, and they never peeled off. My old Chevrolet K-1500 is 21 years old now and painted forest green and the paint is still holding put with no peeling at all Come on Chevy, I know you can fix this. Even my old white 1986 found-on-road-dead Mustang 5.0 didn't peel off the white paint. It is fixable so why so long Chevrolet???
Old June 27th, 2019, 10:24 AM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

on my 91 v3500, its past life was a military crew cab. so it had the dark blue and it pealed. everything pealed off, the clear coat is flaky and the blue will just come off cruising down the road. my uncle who was in the air force around those years said it was the primer also as all the military chevys at that time had the same issue. i cant remember what year but it wasnt much time before that chevy started using galvanized metal to try and cut back on the rust. maybe that caused a issue idk.
Old June 27th, 2019, 10:44 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Now that I think about it, my blue 97 Camaro had clear coat issues.
Old June 28th, 2019, 2:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by StanVan
Nah the primer is always intact. Otherwise you'd just see a rusty mess. It's the base coat that peels away.
Old June 28th, 2019, 1:11 PM
CF Active Member

The first years of clear coat paint was a problem with many companies ,

But I do not see white Ford vans with this peeling problem
Old June 29th, 2019, 10:15 AM
CF Junior Member

I was discussing vans with a guy one day as we parked side by side. He said "good, your paint looks good yet. But watch the edges of the hood and front fender top because on my van that's where it started - and once it took hold it came off in sheets. " Mine had developed some chipping and I've always been diligent to at least dab the small spots, reprimed one spot. True or not, but no issues as of yet on my 2008. Would it really help if you were about to have a delamination issue, dunno.
I worked in a GM dealer through about 1993 and saw many vehicles come through the body shop for the ALPO primer problems that led to these sheets of paint going away. Since then I know that special policies have come and gone for various GM paint issues.

Quick Reply: Paint issues?