Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Power Brakes/Steering out on G30 Van

Search this Thread

Old June 10th, 2010, 4:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Brakes/Steering out on G30 Van

hello!

I have a 1986 Van30 Diesel 6.2 Liter Diesel van, that was converted into a school bus. (photo below)

Name:  DSC_0087.jpg
Views: 2093
Size:  47.2 KB

So this morning I'm driving home and my power steering and power brakes went out. It was a hard drive home.

I'm unsure what the problem could be but I read online that it's possibly a pump and that on some of these Chevy's the power steering and power brakes share a pump.

Any help would be great, thank you!
Old June 12th, 2010, 3:34 PM
CF Beginner

help!
Old June 14th, 2010, 4:52 PM
CF Beginner

I have a '94 G30 with the 350 gasser engine and it defintiely has a hydraulic brake booster. It's possible yours is the same. The fact that you said you had steering and brake problems at the same time points to that as well. Did the steering go heavy and the brake pedal go hard?

My van has a power steering fluid reservior next to the brake master cylinder and there are hoses going from the reservior to the brake master cylinder. Also, it doesn't have the big round vacuum brake booster like you see on most vehicles.

Does that description fit your van too? If so, you probably have a hydraulic brake booster. If you do, check your P/S fluid level and look for any fluid leaks in the steering rack, brake boster, reservoir and the hoses between.
Old June 17th, 2010, 4:03 PM
CF Beginner

Steering did go heavy and brakes hard.

Went to take a look underneath today and found a broken belt, a rather large one. Might this broken belt be the reason of my steering and brake problems? I think it's my V-belt Fan-Comp-P/S.
Old July 24th, 2021, 10:02 AM
CF Beginner

Default Did this ever get resolved?

Have an 1986 g30 that after a water pump repair the brakes/steering are making a loud noise. Both are heavy. PS fluid is full, if not overfilled.

Originally Posted by truthstar
Steering did go heavy and brakes hard.

Went to take a look underneath today and found a broken belt, a rather large one. Might this broken belt be the reason of my steering and brake problems? I think it's my V-belt Fan-Comp-P/S.
Old July 27th, 2021, 4:19 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

These vans use a hydraulic boost rather than vacuum, run off the power steering pump. If the belt is out of position, worn, loose it will make noise and cause loss of assist.