Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

power steering pump and gearbox

Search this Thread

Old September 9th, 2016, 5:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering pump and gearbox

I have a 1998 1500 express van that started leaking power steering fluid. I brought it to a local mech. and he replaced the gearbox. I had it out(did not drive very much) and it was leaking power steering fluid again. I took it back and he replaced a power steering connector hose. Does this sound fishy to anyone? I thought the gearbox used gear oil, not power steering fluid. Does any PS fluid flow thru the gearbox?
Thanks,
Jim
Old September 9th, 2016, 7:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You have the hydroboost system? Instead of a vacuum diaphram the power steering pump supplies the power brakes as well. Those lines are notorious for leaking.....
Old September 9th, 2016, 8:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by canucklehead
You have the hydroboost system? Instead of a vacuum diaphram the power steering pump supplies the power brakes as well. Those lines are notorious for leaking.....
How do I know if I have the hydroboost ?
Old September 10th, 2016, 12:18 AM
CF Veteran

Your master cylinder will lok similar to this one. Note the lack of the big vacuum diaphram in behind.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...19085a7471.jpg
Old September 18th, 2016, 8:21 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is your hydroboost unit leaking... get the seal off of ebay & watch this video on youtube. You can rebuild it for about $10 at home.

I just swapped my steering box & installed an inline filter from the box to the "cooler" under the radiator.

You're right - the fluid did have the consistency and some 'gear oil smell'... I added a quart of Valvoline synthetic power steering fluid (discontinued now) as I couldn't find a reference online to WHAT the actual fluid used is... and because I had it.
Old September 18th, 2016, 8:33 PM
CF Veteran

My hydro boost lines started leaking after a bit and they were new on the truck at 80k.....pos things always leak. I started using Lucas power steering repair, and it eventually got better.....

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/0be...0&odnBg=FFFFFF